Problem with sister's MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JoshMKB24, Dec 23, 2015.

1. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

She has a 2011 MBP, I'm fairly certain she did not upgrade to the latest OSX. When you turn it on, it turns on fine and then does the white screen with the Apple logo and the loading bar under the logo. It acts like it's loading up then when it gets to the far right, or the end.......it goes to a white screen.......sits there and shuts off. It's a backup computer for her, so it isn't imperative she gets it running again, but she would like to fix it. I'm assuming maybe something with the logic board? She said she even took off the bottom panel and sprayed it with a can of air to see if it just needed to be cleaned out and that did not work haha. Any input would be appreciated. If the cost to fix is more than like 250 she will probably just junk it.

2. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

Sounds like a damaged HDD, but could also have several other reasons.

Is OS X able to boot in safe mode?

You can also boot in verbose mode to see what happens while it is booting.

Have you tried a SMC and/or NVRAM reset?

Or booting into the recovery partition or internet recovery for using its disk utility and tried all repair options for the HDD?

If the recovery options are not available because the OS is older than Lion, you can use the installation disk for that. If it's an Early 2011 and came with Snow Leopard, then it doesn't have a recovery partition and no internet recovery if she never updated anything.

3. JoshMKB24 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

I don't know about the other 2 but I know it can't boot in safe mode. I tried that and it was still the same thing. How would I try booting into the recovery partition?

4. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

The first thing I would try is resetting the NVRAM and the SMC:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

If that doesn't help, the standard way for recovery boot is holding cmd+r directly after that Mac has been turned on.
    Or instead you can hold the option(alt) key to get into the boot menu. There you'll see if a recovery partition exists and you can choose it also to boot.

For Internet Recovery you have to hold cmd+alt+r, then a globe should appear and it takes a while to download everything.

If both doesn't exist the Mac has probably still Snow Leopard (10.6.x) on it and you need the installation disk, what came with the Computer or bootable USB drive with any newer version of OS X to get access to the Disk Utility Application.

You could also pull the HDD out, put it in an USB enclosure and test on another Mac if it's damaged.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Which SIZE is the MBPro?
    Is it a 15"?

Take it to an Apple Store. They currently have a free motherboard replacement program for 2011 MacBooks impacted by "RadeonGate".

You -might- qualify for a free repair.
    Certainly for a free inspection...

Note:
    The 13" model doesn't qualify, because it has "onboard" graphics and was not bothered by "RadeonGate" ...

6. JoshMKB24 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

Thanks! I will try this today when I see her and give an update if it works/doesn't work

Also it is a 15"

7. JoshMKB24 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

Alright, we tried all the above besides pulling out the HDD. None of that stuff seemed to work it still did the same thing.

I also found out she does have El Capitan on her computer.

She said she updated a few weeks ago and for the 1st time she got a message about how she couldn't perform a certain operation because she was not the original purchaser of the computer(dad got it for her for Christmas 2011) It's the 1st time thats happened to her and honestly I had never heard of that before as other people have bought computers for me and from me and never run into that issue.

Sounds like a trip to the Apple store is in our near future! I'm holding out hope that what you guys are saying applies to us and they will replace it for free. My sister already replaced it with a new rMBP so now we are just trying to recoup some of her cost.

8. JoshMKB24 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

Thank you for the advice. I took it there today and the guy said he was pretty sure it was covered, and I have an appointment today with a tech to verify it.

9. JoshMKB24 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

Thanks for all the input and advice guys. I took it in and the tech verified that it indeed was covered and they are fixing it and should have it back in about a week.