Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BadgerMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
Take it for what it's worth, but I have a story:

I bought my TiBook this month, ordering on the first. I knew the chances, and have no regrets about purchasing it.

Then Smalldog on the 7th, the day of MacWorld's announcements, dropped the price of the refurb TiBook 1Ghz/SD that I purchased by 200 bucks. I called them and was told I would be contacted in a week regarding a store credit or adjustment to my Apple Loan.

I heard nothing and emailed tonite. Got a response back that:

"I am sorry but we would be unable to offer any price protection on
that computer. To get price protection we would have had to contact Apple
within 48 hours of the price drop and they may have honored that but at this
point they will not, I am sorry."

Well, that's interesting considering their price protection plan information on their website:

"Small Dog Electronics Price Protection Policy Small Dog will, upon request, credit you (store credit to be used against future purchases) with the difference in the sale price for goods that have been purchased within 1 week of a price drop or Small Dog sale. You must qualify for all special sale conditions (i.e. buy this computer and get
this drive). This price protection is only valid for identical items or bundles. Price adjustments (non-specials) from manufacturers are NOT covered under this policy."

Now if Apple had dropped the price but they didn't I can understand, but looking at their site the SAME DAY I saw the price drop $250. They said that:

"That price protection policy refers to when Small Dog lowers a price it does not mean when a manufacturer lowers the price."

Hmmm...didn't they lower their refurb price? That wasnt' a reduction Apple did, their refurb information didnt' indicate this. So they're trying to pass the buck to avoid having to honor something they said they would. That's not the way I do business, but I guess to each his own - even those who aren't necessarily honorable can run businesses in this country.

Not a huge deal, I'm not on death's door over 200 bucks, but be careful if you ever order from there, they dont' honor what they say they will. I have no intention of doing business with them anymore.

I do still love my Tibook though!:>

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
you know the thing never said that SmallDog absolutely had to refund the money. They just said upon request, etc.... never said SmallDog promises to credit you...

well 200 might have been enough to get half an iPod...:eek:

BadgerMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
I was actually looking to use that to get Applecare on my TiBook, so it would have gone back to them anyway!

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Originally posted by BadgerMac
Why delete it?
I belive he was stating to delete his post and not the whole thread. Sorry to hear about your problem with small dog, but when you use a refurb dealer you take your chances some times, I myself always buy directly from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.