Problem with Snow Leopard update DVD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jesscecile, Mar 28, 2014.

1. jesscecile macrumors newbie

My 2009 Macbook Pro (OSX Version 10.5.8) desperately needs to be updated to Snow Leopard (and then Maverick). Problem is, I bought the mac in the US and now live in Europe, so I ordered the Snow Leopard update package from the German store – not realizing that it's a DVD rather than a CD.

I've read that my computer is supposed to ask what region I'd like to use when I insert a DVD. However, my computer just makes a weird, repetitive buzzing noise for a few seconds and then spits the DVD back out. Could this be a region issue? If so, how can I manually adjust the region setting?

2. simsaladimbamba

The Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD is region independent, as mostly only video DVDs are limited to regions, but software DVDs are mostly NOT limited to regions, since there is not really a good reason for that.

Is it the 19 USD / € DVD you get vie the Apple Online Store?
    Does your optical disk drive (ODD) work with other DVDs and CDs?

3. jesscecile thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your feedback! Your point about software makes sense.

My drive will read a music CD, but it won't read the German DVD version of 'Shrek 2' (it's the only other DVD I have in the house).

----------

And yes, it is the €18 DVD that I bought online in the German iTunes store.

4. jesscecile thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm reading on other forums that problems like this could be caused by a dirty lens that's simply not reading the discs properly. I guess I'll buy a lens cleaning disc tomorrow and see if that helps.