Problem with software update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by expergo, Apr 17, 2008.

1. expergo macrumors regular

Hi,

I just reinstalled 10.5, but I'm having trouble updating Quicktime to 7.4.5. The software update gives me this reason. I'm the only user though.

[​IMG]

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is caused by one of two things:

• Corrupt permissions on the temporary folder Software Update stores downloaded updates in (Repair Permissions will fix this)
    • Invalid permissions on Software Update's cache folders (fixing this requires going into /Users/username/Library/Caches and looking for 2 folders: Software Update and com.apple.SoftwareUpdate. Delete these.)

3. expergo thread starter macrumors regular

I repaired permissions and deleted the com.appleSoftwareUpdate. I couldn't find the "Software Update" folder in the Cache. Still the same problem though.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There is one other step you can try - deleting the offending temp folder, and letting Software Update recreate it. Unfortunately, the offending folder is buried deep within the UNIX-y bits of Mac OS X, and can be a pain to get to. The easiest way I know of is to do this:
    1. In Finder, choose Go To Folder... from the Go menu
    2. In the dialog box, type /tmp (don't forget that slash at the beginning)
    3. Once in the /tmp folder, look for another folder called com.apple.softwareupdate - once you find it, send it to the trash. You'll be prompted for an administrator's name and password.
    4. You can safely close the Finder window, as you no longer need it.

5. expergo thread starter macrumors regular

I just tried it but there wasn't any folder called SoftwareUpdate in the TMP directory.

Anyways, I just manually downloaded QT from the Apple website and updated it. Hopefully it won't bother me again.

Thanks!

6. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

If it bothers you again try AppFresh, works quite well to keep all my software up to date.