Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I have Safari on my first space, And photoshop on the second.

When I switch to the space where Safari is and then switch back to PS, sometimes, PS just hangs and I can't select any document window or type anything. I have to switch a couple of more times back and forth to get it to work. This usually happens when I'm trying to add Layer styles. I can't change values often for some reason when I switch a space.

Just as a side note, I have all of my spaces filled and I use 3x2 spaces. I don't think thats the problem though because I have tried with inly 2 spaces filled and I still encounter problems.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Just tried this with cs3 and it seems to behave okay. Have you tried having photoshop in space 1 and safari in space 2?

If it's really bugging you you could try alternative spaces-like programs such as http://desktopmanager.berlios.de/

I have tried photoshop in space 1 and safari in space 2.

To replicate the problem, open up photoshop cs3(I'm using the trial with 9 days left...is that causing the problem?)

Now make a new document, fill in with black or something and then go to layer styles.

Now go to gradient overlay and click on the gradient to bring up the color picker. Now switch spaces. Sometimes, you can't enter anything into photoshop and you can't move the document window.

megageorge

macrumors member
May 16, 2008
Is the colour picker is still open and is waiting for input from you? Photoshop won't let you do anything until you complete that dialogue box. When you switched spaces, it got moved behind the document window that you can't move. Try using expose to select the colour picker and complete that before trying to use your document.

sharky05

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2007
I see what you mean now. Its hard to tell as it sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't, but try using alt-tab to change spaces (if safari is in space 1 and you switch to it, it will change spaces that way). It might just be me but that could be better.

I think it's to do with photoshop not knowing when it has ls lost/gained focus, as when you switch spaces, safari becomes the foreground app.

(Also you won't be able to move the document window if the gradient overlay panel is open, as it forces itself to be in the foreground)

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
I have Safari on my first space, And photoshop on the second.

When I switch to the space where Safari is and then switch back to PS, sometimes, PS just hangs and I can't select any document window or type anything. I have to switch a couple of more times back and forth to get it to work. This usually happens when I'm trying to add Layer styles. I can't change values often for some reason when I switch a space.

Just as a side note, I have all of my spaces filled and I use 3x2 spaces. I don't think thats the problem though because I have tried with inly 2 spaces filled and I still encounter problems.
For me, up until the 10.5.3 update this was the standard behaviour with PShop.

It's not frozen though, it's just lost all it's palettes and buttons because it doesn't know what to do with the whole spaces thing. If the menus are still accessible, selecting the "default workspace" should bring the app back to life.

Unfortunately, many applications, especially those with multiple windows have no idea what to do when spaces switches to another space and it will probably be a couple of versions from now before they do.

Since the 10.5.3 update however, PhotoShop seems to be mostly "fixed" of this behaviour, whereas FileMaker, whose wonky spaces behaviour was recently fixed by a FileMaker update, is now wonky again with 10.5.3.

So it's a complex problem that is being worked on by both Apple and the App vendors at the same time (both in a rather inefficient, rambling, completely uncoordinated kind of way).

If you haven't already done the 10.5.3 update do it and see if that fixes it.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I have the 10.5.3 update and still does it.

Yeah I think Photoshop just isn'd totally compatible with Spaces yet. Hopefully this will get worked out. Very annoying though. So much for Spaces.

Roquefort

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
U.S. west coast
I have the same problem now and then. It may help to control-click on the Photoshop icon in the Dock, pick Hide, then click on it again and pick Show.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.