Problem with Spaces?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wicker, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Wicker macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the way Spaces is supposed to behave, but it is being a bit useless for me at the moment.

I am currently working on some research (task a) and an application (task b), and I thought it would be a good idea to give Spaces a proper try as this seems the perfect scenario (at least from what I understand). I had only used it previously to run my Ubuntu VM full screen (i.e. Ubuntu on Space 2 and OSX on Space 1).

Anyway, I've got several Word documents open, three belonging to task a and one to task b. However, whenever I go to Space 2 and try to click on that document Spaces will automatically switch to Space 1 and show me one of the documents on that Space (belonging to task a). If I then switch back to Space 2 (ctrl+2) and click on it again it does the same thing, only that it then shows that document (belonging to Space 2) on Space 1.

Is there a way to fix this or am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

maybe the space is doing app binding, rather than app-window binding?

3. Wicker thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe... is there any way I can change it?

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

NO, AFAIK, see other people has any solution

ps. just a mention that I think compiz-fusion can do this, but it probably is a linux only stuff.

5. Wicker thread starter macrumors regular

6. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

That's probably the biggest gripe people have with Spaces; it's app-centric not task-centric. Wait for apple to release an update.

I do recall there being a problem with Word and Spaces, make sure you're using the latest version of Office, and try unticking the box at the bottom of the spaces pref pane "when switching to an application...."

7. Wicker thread starter macrumors regular

Well, that blows, I guess no Spaces for me until that is 'fixed'. Thanks for the info.