Problem with SSD in my late 2008 ODD bay.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbzcar, May 12, 2012.

1. jbzcar macrumors regular

I have a late 2008 15" UMBP and just got an ODD adapter to house my 120 GB Corsair Force GT SSD. I have everything up and running, but my System Report shows me this:

NVidia MCP79 AHCI:

Vendor: NVidia
    Product: MCP79 AHCI
    Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
    Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit

Description: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

Corsair Force GT:

Capacity: 120.03 GB (120,034,123,776 bytes)
    Model: Corsair Force GT
    Revision: 1.3.3
    Serial Number: 12026502000010700000
    Native Command Queuing: Yes
    Queue Depth: 32
    Removable Media: No
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk0
    Medium Type: Solid State
    TRIM Support: Yes
    Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

And running Blackmagic only shows about ~105 MB/s on the speed test... Any ideas??

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Is the Force GT as SATA (III) 6Gbps drive? If so, you need to buy with a SATA (II) 3Gbps drive or contend with the SATA (I) 1.5Gbps negotiated speed.

3. jbzcar thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah it is SATA III... I get the same problem with my other Patriot Wildfire 120 SSD. :(

It does it with both drives in either location. Very odd and annoying. :confused:

4. allapon macrumors regular

allapon

If I don't miss, both of drive use SF2281 Controller which have compatibility with Nvidia MCP79. I hope that your drive can update firmware to fix it (I heard that OCZ can update firmware to fix this problem.)

For my advice, stay away from SF2281 Controller SSD Drive if your laptop is used Nvidia Chipset. It happens not only Mac, but also Window machine with same chipset!!

5. jbzcar thread starter macrumors regular

Good to know, I will avoid Sandforce when I get another SSD for this MacBook. Thanks.

6. jbzcar thread starter macrumors regular

I picked up an OCZ Octane 128GB SSD today and it is based on their Indilinx controller. So far it is working perfectly! Lightning fast and no issues at all. :)

Just finished setting up my symlinks on my 1TB drive to save some space. :cool:

7. allapon macrumors regular

allapon

Glad to hear that. I do the same with 256 GB plextor m3 and WDC Scorpio Black 750GB. Cold Boot and shut down is lightning!!