Problem with Statcounter and iWeb

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by SchneiderMan, Dec 28, 2009.

1. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Yesterday all of the sudden ive been getting weird visits and a lot more then usual even today, and it is not normal. Iv'e asked in the SC forum but they said i need to ask here because they don't know iWeb and that because the site is not indexed well.

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head>
    <title></title>
    <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;url= Site/SchneidersStudios.html" />
    </head>
    <body>
    </body>
    </html>
    my stats, see those two spikes are not normal..

Attached Files:

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well, not going to be able to tell you anything from what you're showing us. You need to look at the web server log files and see if there's traffic coming from a specific IP, or a specific web site linking to you. Does StatCounter show you referrer links? That would be a good one to check out. I'm not really sure why you think there's a "problem" just because you're getting more traffic all of the sudden. This can happen sometimes because a page on a site gets "Digg" or linked to by a popular site.

3. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Well it could be but it's a little weird for me, the stats are just getting higher by the day almost reaching 1k a day!?! Couldn't it be some bot?

I cannot get exact info of sites linking to mine because of how iweb sites are built i guess is what they told me over at SC.. But i see the I.P's and it shows me that in 1 second i get about 4 page loads from a specific user. So this means every visit gets multiplied and that should not happen (correct?) why i don't know ):

I recently started to use iWeb seo tools and that might have done something with the statcounter code?

Attached Files:

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

What you're seeing is the individual files associated with a page being downloaded (the individual widget files mainly), not the same page being downloaded multiple times a second. I did a whois lookup on the IP address and it seems to be related to Apple. That may mean the traffic is being driven through Apple for the iWeb stuff, thus hiding the true origin, or may mean something else. It's quite possible it's just a search engine bot indexing pages. I partly think it's a bot because I don't see anything other than .html files being accessed, no CSS or JavaScript files.

The hit count may be getting exaggerated because iWeb includes so many widget files that are .html files. Stats programs usually count each .html, .htm, .php, etc. as a hit, so for each individual page visit, the StatCounter may count it as 6 or so hits when it's really just one.

5. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

But this never happened before 2 days ago, everything was normal until i started to use iWeb SEO Tools =/ Anyway to fix that problem? Thanks

6. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

To me this seems to be a lack of a problem. You got iWeb SEO Tools to get just that; SEO for iWeb which is hard to do. When you are SEOing (that a word?) you want bots to crawl and index pages so it will show up in those search engines. I'd wait about a week or two and if it is still happening then I would check back.

7. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Hmm very weird, well yeah lets see i guess. Thanks and i'll update.