Problem With Superdrive Not Mounting Dvds

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jimpendo, Apr 22, 2010.

1. jimpendo macrumors newbie

Hi

I have had issues with the superdrive on my mbp not accepting dvds. Upon insertion, the drive spins the disk, for about 15 seconds, before spitting it out. It is obvious upon the sound though that the disk isn't getting to full speed. CDs mount fine, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue? Has anyone had a similar experience or no anything i could possibly do? So far I have reset the pram, and reset the power management settings. it definitely is not the disk i have tried many, some which have worked it the past.

Specs;
    Macbook pro 15"
    2.4ghz
    2gb ram
    late 2008 (the last before the unibodys)

thanks for your help

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. msevild macrumors regular

If the unit is still under warranty bring it to an authorized provider or an apple store. They will just replace the drive for you. The lens/laser is unable to read the DVD's but can read the CD's just fine. Could be dirty, could be a hardware malfunction. With a slot loading reader conventional disc-type lens cleaners won't work. If it i out of warranty you can try browsing the web for cleaning tips(q-tip+little bit of alcohol or something similar to that combination) for apple laptops.

4. jimpendo thread starter macrumors newbie

solution

thanks for your help

just like to say i have found the solution incase anyone has similar problems in the future. apparently it can simply be a case of the lens accumulating to much dust for it to read possibly.

to fix this i used a credit card, with a soft microfibre cloth wrapped around it. i inserted it carefully into the superdrive slot. the lens in about an inch in, on the left hand side of the slot. one insertion was all it took to remove the dust, from then on i have had no problems reading dvds.

cheers

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Using a cleaning disk is probably a better way to go about it, but I'm glad to hear you've got it sorted out anyway. :)

6. Pearly King macrumors newbie

Dirty Lense - SORTED!

Thanks for your posts.

I too have a Mac mini purchased 2nd hand a few months ago via eBay.

I too found that I could play CDs but the drive repeatedly refused to play DVDs even though the Disk Utility app recognised that the DVD-R was in the drive.

I tried the credit card/soft cloth trick which left me unable to play any disk but after playing a CD lense cleaner disk it's all working!

I had thought I had a failing drive or that it was a Parallels conflict but no, just a dirty lense.

Thanks for the tip