Problem with syncing contacts to iPhone! (contacts' names keep changing)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ay98182, Nov 23, 2007.

1. ay98182 macrumors member

hey everyone,

I've been using my iPhone (with version 1.0.2) for over a month now, and one thing that's really bugging me is the fact that my contacts' names keep changing according to the name they have attached to their email.

To explain a bit more clearly - almost all of my contacts have only their first name put in (I find that easier). Most of my contact cards have each person's email written in. My iPhone is synced to my computer's Mail account. When I receive an email from someone in my address book, for instance 'Bob', if the name attached to his email is 'Bob Jones', his contact card is then changed to that full name.

Is there any way of stopping this? It's annoying because there's no notification that it's changed and I then get confused when looking for a phone number that's now listed under the surname, not the first name.

It's also doubly annoying when someone has a joke name attached to their mail account, like 'Viking Fury' etc, and then the contact becomes a garbled version of my address book entry and the email name ('James Fury') - then it's even more difficult to find!!

(btw what I do when I need to differentiate between people with the same first name is that I put both the first name and surname in the first name box on Address Book, that way I can still search for them by their first name)

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I'm so glad that you have posted this as I am being driven mad by the same problem and would love to find a solution.

I too prefer to search for people by their first names and use the identical method to you to achieve this.

Please help someone!

3. ay98182 thread starter macrumors member

CD3660 -

I've been messing around with my iPhone just now and I've found that it is possible to order the contacts by the first name. Just go to Settings>Phone and change the Contacts 'Sort Order' to 'First, Last'.

This still doesn't help with the fact that a person's email name will change the contact though - as I said, if there's a joke name attached to the person's email account, or also if, for instance, I want my mother's email and phone under just 'Mum' and it keeps on adding her last name, every time I get an email from her.

4. ay98182 thread starter macrumors member

5. alFR macrumors 68020

AFAIK you can still search by first name even if you put the surname in the correct box.

I suspect you're not a normal usage case for an address book app. :)

6. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

heh it got me too a while ago :)