Problem with syncing devices

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by volley13, May 1, 2013.

1. volley13 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    My apple id is the primary id for iTunes, etc. I have an iPhone 5 and 2007 iMac desktop, and the wife has an iphone 4 and iPad. I was told the same apple id must be used on all devices for photo stream, music, etc to update on all devices. So, I went to Settings, iCloud on my wife's devices, deleted her acct and put in my apple id.

When she got to the airport this a.m., she texted and said she was getting my mail and not hers. When I made the change, would it automatically change the information under Mail, Contact, Calendars (2nd option after iCloud under Settings), etc to mine?

I'm trying to figure out what to tell her to do when she calls this evening.

thank you

2. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

iCloud ID and iTunes IDs are different.

Also, you can only have one email per iCloud account. If she doesn't want to get your mail, she can just turn that off. Likewise, it will sync your contacts, calendars and bookmarks if you have it set up that way.

3. volley13 thread starter macrumors newbie

So yes, she does have her own iCloud account. Yes, it was set up to sync bookmarks, contacts, calendars as well. She's out of town, and I haven't talked to her yet, but I do need to know if the id under mail, contacts, etc...was auto-changed.

We used to have a good set up in the past, using my apple id on all devices, and she put her email address in the mail, contacts, calendar, section. Everything was synced, etc., and she could see my email inbox and hers. In error, she deleted some of my emails, so i decided to delete my acct from her devices and add her own apple id, not realizing this would stop the syncing feature. Now I'm trying to get back to that original set up but need to confirm what id needs to go where.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What you should have done was just turn off the email, rather than deleting your account.

So I think what you need to do is, under iCloud, sign in to your account, then make sure to turn off email. Then under Mail, Calendar, etc, add your wife's iCloud account, and any other email accounts she wants. (Yes, you can have multiple iCloud emails on an iPad -- I have, like five.)