Problem with Terminal ANSI colors

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by flarn2006, Jul 26, 2011.

1. flarn2006 macrumors newbie

So I just installed Lion, and I noticed the new ANSI color feature in the Terminal. I had previously used TerminalColors (or TerminalColours as it's spelled in the filename) to set the colors. After seeing the message that it's incompatible, I was glad to see the function is built in now, especially considering I use the terminal quite often. However, the problem is whatever color I set, it doesn't show up exactly the same. So, if I use the ANSI default dark blue for instance, it looks purplish (like what it appeared as in Snow Leopard before I installed TerminalColors). Setting the dark blue color to black (to test it) resulted in a dark gray. How do I fix this? Shouldn't it use the color I set? If I wanted a purplish-blue or a dark gray, I would have set it to that.

2. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

It adjusts the colour displayed based on the background colour you select - so as to avoid having unseeable colours. It does this imperfectly, but the theory is a fair one.

3. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

Dunno what you think is new about this, but this all was there in SL too. I use ANSI colors since God knows how long to change the color of my prompt/path to visualize which user I am and the difference between file type/directories

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unless of course you means something completely different, in which case I didn't say anything. ;)

4. flarn2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

If my colors were unseeable, wouldn't I set them back to ones I can see? How do I get it to use the colors I set, and not the ones it "thinks" I mean?

5. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Don't ask me. It's Steve who knows what's good for you. ;)

My experience was just with seeing the default colours adjust as I changed the background; I tweaked the bg till I was satisfied with the ANSI colours.

How precise do you want to be?

6. flarn2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

I want the background to be black (as in #000000) and the colors to be their ANSI defaults, though as they appear in the color wells.

7. flarn2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

To better illustrate what I mean, here's a test I did:

[​IMG]

This should speak for itself, but just in case you don't see what's going on, all the ANSI colors are set to solid black in Device RGB (the same happens with Generic RGB) yet all the colors appear dark gray (except for non-bold black.)