Problem with terminal, OS 10.5.8

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macuser099, May 24, 2013.

1. macuser099 macrumors newbie

When I open terminal, instead of the first line listing the default:
    ComputerName:CurrentDirectory User$

there is a site listed before my username:
    http://thissite: ~User$

What can I do to fix this? And can anyone explain why this is present when I open a shell?

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Someone has set the PS1 variable to show the address of the box look in your .bash_profile file, in your home directory as it is a hidden file, for the current setting and if you wish to make changes to it that is where to do it.

3. macuser099 thread starter macrumors newbie

.bash_profile

I have a .bash_history file, but no .bash_profile. I am not sure what line(s) to change because their is no mention of http://thissite. Any further help? I appreciate you pointing me in this direction.

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Could be in your .bashrc you would see something like PS1="....." if you want to see what it is set to now use echo $PS1.

5. macuser099 thread starter macrumors newbie

terminal

echo PS1 returned this:

\h:\W \u\$

I am not sure what to do. A search for other .bash$ files did not return anything.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That's normal. I don't think this is an issue with your system but rather the network; when I take my machine to work it comes up with something like "blackberry7DF4:~" but the moment I disconnect from the network it's back to normal.

It doesn't seem to affect anything.

7. macuser099 thread starter macrumors newbie

disconnecting

Thanks I will try disconnecting

8. macuser099 thread starter macrumors newbie

terminal problems

I disconnected and the problem vanished. After reconnecting it does the same thing. Stumped.

----------

Also when remote login is checked, it states:

"To login to this computer remotely, type "ssh myusername@http://thissite.com"."

I turned remote login off as well, and it appears once again when remote login is on.

9. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

By default OS X user accounts are configured so that the default shell "bash" shows the name of the computer (the hostname) and the current directory.

It looks like your hostname has been changed to the string "http://thissite:".

To check, run the command "hostname" in a terminal without the quotes. This command will print the current name of the computer. On OS X, most users set the hostname in System Preferences->Sharing-> "Computer Name:".

----------

Looks like a DNS poison attach that is trying to trick you into attempting to login to the URL with your username. If you try that the attacker will be able to capture your username, password, and the IP of your machine.

Powering off your router and your laptop at the same time then powering them back on is likely to resolve the problem.

10. macuser099 thread starter macrumors newbie

terminal problems

I powered off the router and computer at the same time and the site name is still listed in terminal before my username.
    I should mention as well that I noticed this when I tried to send an email using mail for a gmail account. The email was not sent and I was given a mailer-daemon error. The same site appeared in the body of the email. I have changed my password for email recently, as well as my login password. Any other suggestions would be nice. Thanks so far to everyone who has helped.

11. kryten2, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013

kryten2 macrumors 6502a

Google search : osx dhcp hostname

Code:
    sudo scutil --set HostName yourhostname
    Link : osx dhcp hostname

12. macuser099 thread starter macrumors newbie

using sudo to set hostname

This did not work either. Apple's tech support could not even help. I am still looking for ideas/ways to change this. Thanks again.