Problem with the Mail Application

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DHarrisDBS34, Mar 24, 2009.

1. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

So I have a Macbook. On my mail application, I haven't been able to get it to work correctly. I have 4 email addresses: AOL, Yahoo, Hotmail, and my school email. My AOL account works perfectly. On the other hand, my school account (which is really my primary one now) doesn't let me send emails although I get them fine. And my hotmail and yahoo accounts don't work at all. Can anyone help me with this? It would be really appreciated.

2. Ikuanna macrumors newbie

ARe you paying hotmail and yahoo for their service? if not, they you won't get your emails forwarded. That's the reason I switched to gmail, free forwarding.

3. DHarrisDBS34 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh ok, I was unaware of that. Thanks for the info. Does anyone know why I wouldn't be able to send out email from a certain account though? I believe it's a POP account.

4. Ikuanna macrumors newbie

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If you can receive but not send, its going to be an error in your outgoing server settings. Go to the Accounts section of your Mail preferences, and then highlight the school email account on the left, make sure Account Information is blue to the right, and look at the bottom of the window, it'll say "Outgoing server (SMTP)" with a dropdown next to it. Or, if you have 10.4.11 it'll also have a button for Server Settings. If your computer is running 10.5, click the dropdown and click on the Edit Server List option. For 10.4, click Server settings to access the same window. It'll show the different outgoing servers for your school and your AOL account. Highlight the one for the school account, and below you'll see tabs for Account Information and Advanced. First, make sure the outgoing address is correct, then go to the Advanced tab to check on the port number, SSL, and authentication settings match up with what the campus IT people say it should be. You may wish to set it to a custom port of one of the 3 available there or input whatever the IT people say it is. If any of those settings are incorrect you'll need to make adjustments, then click OK, close out of the preferences window and save the changes. Quit, relaunch Mail and see if you can send a test message to yourself.

Steps pulled from here