Problem with updating MacBook Pro 2006

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hlacomis, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Hlacomis macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi. First post, and I don't know if this is in the right forum. I have a problem. I'm updating a 2006 MBP from Tiger to Snow Leopard, and I used the disk that came with another computer (2009 MBP) but I didn't know it would work. I backed up the data, wiped the internal HD, and now I'm left with a computer with a wiped hard drive and a disk stuck in it that can't install SL. How do I get the disk out so I can put in a proper SL install disk? Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You cannot use a disk from another Mac to upgrade your Mac unless it was the same exact type, that is apple keys the system disks by Mac model.

You need to buy the Snow Leopard disk from apple to proceed. Technically what you're doing is piracy as well. You need to buy a SL license for each mac you own.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Hold down the mouse button on startup and it should eject.

4. Hlacomis thread starter macrumors newbie

Right I know that, so I bought the SL install disk from Apple, but the other disk is still in the Mac and is it's startup disk, so how would I go about ejecting that disk without majorly messing up the computer? It's not my computer but I'm very confident in taking it apart if I must.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Did you even try what I suggested?

6. Hlacomis thread starter macrumors newbie

Not yet, I'm not near it now.

7. Hlacomis thread starter macrumors newbie

But when I do, I'm worried that ejecting the boot disk it's running from will do something bad. Also, how will I put the good SL disk in?

8. Hlacomis thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind everyone, I'm good. Thanks for the "click on mousepad during startup to eject" trick.