Problem with upgrading from 10.4.11 to 10.5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MBPBoy, Jan 17, 2009.

1. MBPBoy macrumors newbie

Hi folks

I'm getting the "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer" after the initial stages of the install process. Its a MBP 2.33processer, 2GigRAM and was bought at the start of 2007.

It's defo not the spec of machine, so must be the discs. The 10.5 discs came with another mac, exactly the same spec of machine, so the discs are defo MBP.

Anyone have any ideas why I can't upgrade?? Do I have to select the "Erase and Install" option in the install options? Is it space on my hard drive. (Only 14gig left, but I would assume it would tell me thats the problem.

Also the disc version is 2Z691-6150-A for disc 1 and 2Z691-6175-A for disc 2.

Any ideas anyone? . . . . . :confused:

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

because you're stealing.

It won't install because you didn't pay for your own copy. Now go out and buy a legitimate copy of OS X.

3. MBPBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The machines can't be the same specs. Yours in early 2007 shipped with Tiger, as Leopard hadn't been released at the time. The one you got discs from apparently is a newer model, as it shipped with Leopard. So that's why it won't let you install.

Buy yourself a copy of Leopard and install it.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Buy the retail version. Discs from other hardware won't work.

6. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Click Options and change to Archive and Install.

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The only idea is to go out and pay for a legitimate copy of Leopard. No one here is going to help you steal. Any talk of stealing will be wastelanded and the users potentially wrist slapped.

8. MBPBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Does that just archive the OS files from10.4.8? It won't effect any of my personal files will it, as it wipe the HD or anything like that? . . .

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

you can't archive and install on the reinstall disks, only legitimate copies of OS X.

Go out and buy a freaking copy of Leopard.

10. MBPBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

2Z691-6150-A for disc 1 and 2Z691-6175-A for disc 2

So these codes refer to reinstall discs? and will only work with a: 1 individual given mac or b: all MBPs of a certain model/age.

If I do buy the retail Leopard will TufLuvJimmy give his hat back to the Russian he swiped it from ;-)

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I lost that hat :(

The disks are specific to that exact line, not the model. But it doesn't really matter since that whole line would come with that operating system, thus using the disks from another computer of the same line wouldn't be stealing.

12. MBPBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

When you say line, you mean 10.4 and 10.5 being two separate lines? When I bought my MBP, it was 2 months old, and all though I got all the original discs for my applications (which are all legitimate before you start) I never got the OS discs.

So If my mac were to die, I could use somebody else's 10.4 "install discs 1 and 2" legitimately as it's all tiger?

And just to clarify I can't install 10.5 because it's not a full retail disc???

There's loads of full retail sets of 10.5 going on the bay for £20, is that what you'd have me do!

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

When I say line I really mean Revision. Every time the hardware is updated in anyway it becomes a new revision, or rev.

Rev. A Macbook Pros didn't have firewire 800, rev. B did, rev. C updated the specs slightly.

Now we're on rev. A of the unibody macbook pro.