Problem with usage time readings

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by colodane, Feb 18, 2014.

1. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I recently purchased a retina iPad Mini - iOS 7.04. It seems to be working fine except for something strange with the reported numbers for standby and usage hours.

Rather than giving me different numbers for standby and usage, both are always the same, and seem to just be counting the total time since the last charge was completed. As with my other iOS devices, most of the time the iPad is in sleep mode but the usage readings are not reflecting this.

There is no problem with the battery life. I'm getting very respectable operating time and, with sleeping, can get several days between recharging. But the strange and unusable readings reported in the usage function are bugging me. Any ideas?

2. colodane thread starter macrumors 6502a

colodane

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Facebook has been known to cause this issue. Essentially caused by a rogue app. Search MR/internet for "iphone standby and usage time the same." Hits should come up with suggestions, but most commonly I've seen it related to facebook.

I'm not sure how people solved it, but I do remember someone saying deleting and reinstalling facebook worked.

4. colodane thread starter macrumors 6502a

colodane

Thanks Tyler23 for the suggestion. I do not have the FaceBook app, so FaceBook probably isn't the culprit in this instance. But you do raise a good point. Perhaps it is some other app that has frequent usage when I think the iPad should be in Standby. I did install a few new apps on the new iPad that I didn't have on my previous mobile devices. I will try turning off the Background App Refresh for these apps to see if one of them could be causing the problem. Thanks again for the idea.

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

No problem. Sorry I can't be more specific, just know there have been several cases of so-called rogue apps causing this issue.