Problem with user accounts

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by simoncherry, Jun 2, 2010.

1. simoncherry macrumors newbie

I have installed Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 game onto a Mac Desktop, Now it works flawlessly on my account (the account I used to install it on) but when my son wants to play it on his account it will not play even though the icon is in the application folder and the initial startup screen appears but then nothing else happens.
    I also tried it on another account which is my wife's and is an administrator but still no joy.
    Can anyone please advise what I need to do, or is it a matter of installing the game individually onto each account

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Move that complete game from your Desktop folder into the Applications folder, where applications belong, and you will have no problem.

Because your Desktop folder can't be accessed via other accounts, even with aliases.

3. simoncherry thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying, The whole game is in my application folder along with other programs (the other programs like firefox etc work fine) for some reason Red Alert doesn't.
    When I mentioned Desktop I meant the type of computer as opposed to laptop sorry for the confusion.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Select the Red Alert 3 folder in your Applications folder, either right click and select GET INFO or press CMD+I to open the Get Info Inspector and see what it says under Sharing & Permissions. If the other user accounts are not listed in there (or the "user" everyone) add the other users with read and write permissions and see if that helps.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No. All applications, to be available to every account should be installed in YourHD/Applications.

As suggested, check Permissions. To add, click the padlock and supply your admin password, then click the + button.

6. simoncherry thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried all the suggestions to no avail. In the info inspector the sharing and permissions is set to all the accounts and the everyone account and all set to read and write. Any other ideas? :confused:

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then try to install Red Alert 3 under those user accounts too (meaning logging in as user 2 and 3 and installing it while in user 2 and 3, so install it twice more).

Have you updated Red Alert to the latest patch?

Btw, what Mac and Mac OS X version are you running?

8. simoncherry thread starter macrumors newbie

I will give that a go, I was hoping to avoid installing several times if necessary but if its the only way.
    I am running an Intel Mac 3.06 Ghz with 4 GB RAM and snow leopard
    Thanks for your help