Problem with Verizon iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fupresti, Jun 17, 2011.

1. fupresti macrumors regular

I am in the middle of a project where I am deploying 500+ iPad 2 models to our sales and service staff and it is a mix of Verizon and AT&T. I was processing the final devices and sent the ESN and Serial Numbers to Verizon for activation under our corporate account and find out 45 of the models have ESN's that are already active under other iPad devices. I assume this is related to the issue where a few weeks ago where Verizon iPads were returned to manufacturing.

My question is, my Apple Enterprise rep said he believes Verizon can change the ESN remotely to allow for these existing devices to be activated. Is this an accurate statement or am I going to have to go through the trouble to replace every single one? I was told I would get an answer on Monday and couldn't wait, figured MacRumors members would be able to set me straight and make my weekend a little more comfortable :)

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I do not know the answer for sure, but I believe if I remember my old non iPhone Verizon phones, the ESN appeared on the sticker inside the phone so believe it stays with the device. Plus, if Verizon could do this, why not do this for those people whose iPads were recalled recently?

3. Jay858 macrumors newbie

It can't be done by software.
    Contact apple for replacement.
    There is bunch of article about the silent recall.

4. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I don't mean to waste your time, but I thought the ESN was basically hardwired to the phone and is loaded into the switch so it knows how to charge the calls and activate/control features. Sort of acts like the VIN to a car. This doesn't seem to be a realtime/remote change.

5. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I believe you are right. The story I read said the incorrect ESN was flashed to the iPad 2 devices.