Problem with video playback (only) on Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lgfaver, Jun 13, 2011.

1. lgfaver macrumors member

So i just got this refurb 2010 15inch MBP from the online store. For some odd reason the flash playback has been awfully buggy. After messing around with the settings i think i got it to stabilize and play youtube videos effectively. However, all the other flash based videos on other websites are choppy as hell. I have hardware acceleration checked(without it Youtube videos become out of sync w the audio) and if i uncheck it, the videos do play smoothly on sites like Hulu and Espn or NBA but again.... it's really out of sync and it's unbearable imo. Just can't watch videos like that. I must add, this happens when i switch to fullscreen mode.

Now, here's the tricky part, I downloaded Chrome. As some of you may already know Chrome comes with its own flash plugin and for some weird reason, all video content looks/plays flawless there. Now i love the look of the Safari web browser and i understand Lion will be shipping shortly with an upgraded version of Safari but i'd like to get this thing fixed now.

Does anyone know what might be causing video playback to be so buggy on Safari ?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

First download the Flash Uninstaller, run it and reboot. Upon the reboot download the FlashPlayer and run it while you have all browsers shut down.

One more thing. If you want to see YouTube in High Definition then use the YouTube HTML 5 video and you will see the same video that the iPad sees on YouTube.

3. lgfaver, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

lgfaver thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the help btw.
    i installed and uninstalled flash several times with no results. it was actually the first thing i did.
    I also tried installing previous versions of the plugin and nothing...
    what i don't understand is why it works flawlessly on Chrome but is so buggy on Safari.

4. lgfaver thread starter macrumors member

so... i tried switching to the 32bit version of safari to see if that would do anything for me, it didn't. At this point i'm thinking it has something to do with my computer and the memory. I mean this is a 2010 15inch core i5/2.4ghz with 4gb and it is a refurb from the online store.... i just got it less than a week ago and i can't believe Apple would send something that's not working in optimal conditions.

does anyone have any more suggestions?

5. lgfaver thread starter macrumors member

here's another update(if in fact there's anyone reading these posts)...
    I did a hard reset/reboot, started from scratch, installed OSx and the applications, etc... All for nothing, FLASH still is awful on Safari, better on Chrome. I really don't understand why the hell this it's not working like it should but it's really gotten annoying. i've tried everything and what's worse, there's no one --or so it seems-- that can tell me how to fix this.

I am going to the mall today to take a look at the new 13inch models and test them, try to play some 720p Youtube videos using Safari. I read a couple of reviews where it basically said the 2010 15inch models had better graphics than the new 2011 13inch ones, so... it just makes zero sense.

worst case scenario, i have to mail this thing back, and get me a brand new 13inch(that's all i can afford) and save myself a couple of bills. will probably miss the screen size

6. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

You don't mention the versions of the Flash Player or Safari that you're using. Are they both the most recent? Are you having the same issue in Firefox?

(I recall a particular Safari 4.x version that was singularly craptacular).

7. lgfaver thread starter macrumors member

No, it the same thing does not happen in Chrome or Firefox. At least if it is, i can't really notice it there. But it's more than obvious(out of sync audio/video) on Safari, which is a shame cos i love the look of the browser and i wish i could use it as my primary browser.

In any case, thanks for responding. This is the 5.0.2 version of Safari(which i assume is the latest) and as for FLASH, yes, it is definitely the newest one.... and yes, i have uninstalled and re-installed the plugin time and time again. What do you think it could be?

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I started thinking it one of two things:

1) You might be booted into 64bit mode and not using the Flash Square 64bit driver. To tell if you are in 64bit mode launch /Applications/Utilities/System Profiler (or hold down the 'option' key while clicking on Apple symbol in the Finder's top left corner).

2) You have either a Safari Extension or Internet Plug-In (in /YourHardDrive/Users/YourUserName/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ & /YourHardDrive/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/) that are old and causing problems (because you might be in 64bit mode).

So check your Internet Plug-Ins folders for old plugins.

9. lgfaver thread starter macrumors member

first of all i appreciate your help and taking the time to try to help me out with this. Now...
    1). I checked, and it says Safari is running on 64bit mode, Flash however is in 32bit mode. Now, i know how to switch modes in Safari, Flash is a different story. Need more help with this one.

2) i checked both and there is absolutely nothing in those folders. That came at no surprise since i just did a hard reboot/osX install(thinking that would fix things--it didn't) so ... now what?

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Can't really help with the Flash issue, other than to say that it's always been awful on OS X ... just not that bad.

However, I can recommend the YouTube5 Safari extension. It makes YouTube, Vimeo and Facebook videos playable on any Mac. It's a godsend honestly and it shows you how utterly terrible Adobe is at coding.

11. lgfaver thread starter macrumors member

thanks. unfortunately, Youtube hasn't really been an issue. It plays "just ok" on Safari, even the 720p/HD videos. the problem is that's the only website that works the way it should.
    Putlocker videos, NBA videos, ESPN videos... all those websites look choppy as hell. Like i said, the weird thing is, it's only on Safari that i encounter this problem. i really can't grasp that.

12. lgfaver thread starter macrumors member

just got back from the Apple Store. Man, was that thing packed! there was a grand total of one person behind the "genius bar". There were literally over 80 people/customers in there, it was a mess.
    anyhow, i couldn't even set up an appointment cos they were all booked up, so i just dropped off my 15inch MBP, signed some paperwork and was told i'd get a call within 24hrs. Hope that's accurate. If the cannot fix it, i need to know ASAP so i can call Apple Care Service and tell them i wanna return it and i'll be wanting a full refund.

Let's see how thing thing unfolds....