Problem with 'view single post'

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by -Ryan-, Apr 14, 2010.

1. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

When viewing a single post from a thread, the FAQ/Rules, Search and Quick Links drop-down options don't work. I've confirmed this by using several different browsers, and the result is the same. It doesn't appear to happen anywhere else on the forums.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I wonder if it's the <body> tag. In the single post page, it looks like it's in the wrong location.

4. -Ryan- thread starter macrumors 68000

From looking at the source, there appears to be nothing wrong. However, the 'edit' button also doesn't work if you are looking at your own post. I think it's most likely to be one of two things;

1. There could be some sort of permissions error which is stopping showpost.php from being able to call the external javascript files. Try changing permissions to 755.
    2. The showpost.php is somehow looking for the wrong file. Perhaps try editing it to be the absolute file path? Edit: Also unlikely, because the source is showing the same file path.

The <body> tag appears to be in the correct place for me.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Not for me. I see it after the header HTML is outputted.

Here's where the body tag should be, right after </head>
    HTML:
    <title>Mac Forums - View Single Post - Problem with 'view single post'</title>
    </head>

<!-- added header and navbar / plugin required -->
    <a name="top"></a>
    <div id="mr_banner" >

6. -Ryan- thread starter macrumors 68000

You are correct. My apologies, I believe I had multiple sources open from different .phps on the forum to compare and must have chosen the wrong one. This is probably the cause then. :)

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's been broken that way as long as I can remember, yet nobody has ever pointed it out before, so we thought we'd continue to get away with it.

I wonder if our site engineers will now feel pressured to fix it? :eek:

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

status report

The website team plans to fix this long-standing bug.

FYI, the problem is in the Javascript for the drop-down menus, not from a misplaced <body> tag (which was fixed).