Problem with Windows XP Installation

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Rhewhton, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Rhewhton macrumors newbie

I have an iMac (2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) running OS 10.5.8 purchased June of 2009. I want to install windows and run it on Bootcamp. I have been following the BootCamp installation and setup guide.

During step 1 where you partition the disk I chose 32 gb for the windows partition. When I ran the partition I got a disk error message which suggested I run the disk utility. I did this, tried again, and got the same error. I did it again - no luck. Failing this, the installation guide suggested I backup all files and do a clean reinstall of the system software. I did this and the OSX software installation went smoothly. I then ran all the Apple updates.

I then re-tried the disk partition and it went fine. I then followed the steps to install windows. The installation guide recommended to make sure that the full system is used, not an upgrade. The version of windows that I decided to purchase from Amazon.com is called Windows XP Home Edition SP3 for System Builders. Note that this is a new, legitimate version. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-System-Builders/dp/B0018RCADO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

What I received was called Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition OEM software. I didn't notice the OEM designation before the installation and don't fully understand what OEM is. What gave me confidence when I chose this product was that many of reviews were from mac owners who successfully used it for bootcamp and parallels. Also discussions on this forum seem to indicate that OEM should work.

Everything seem to be going smoothly in the Windows installation. I chose 32 gb partition and "FAT" (not "NTFS" or "FAT Quick") as the format for the partition. Things went bad when I got to the screen that has bullet points for the various steps of the Windows installation: Collecting Information, Dynamic Update, Preparing Installation, Installing Windows, etc. It went through the initial stages successfully until somewhere within the Installing Windows stage. At that point I got a screen with a message that said: "A problem has been detected and windows has to shut down to prevent damage to your comuter." Below that it said: "Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

I haven't been able to get past this error in the installation. I checked the troubleshooting information in the Bootcamp installation guide and I noticed that it warned against using OEM software. So now I'm wondering whether or not OEM is a problem. If OEM isn't the problem what should I try next?

Many thanks!

2. PseudoScifi macrumors newbie

You have to be careful when you get to the formatting part. If you are not familiar with partitioning, the best thing to do is select the "leave the current file system intact, make no changes." So that could be the cause of your problem. Also, you must have a copy of XP that has at least SP2. As you say you received XP home edition. The original XP Home Editions were not all SP2, depending on the manufacture date.

EDIT: According to amazon, this edition of XP should work. So try leaving the file system intact.

3. Rhewhton thread starter macrumors newbie

The reason why I chose the "FAT" option is because the Bootcamp Setup and Installation Guide instructs to choose FAT or NTFS but not to choose "leave the current file system intact". So I'm skeptical but I guess it can't hurt to try. I'll put up a post once I find out what happens.

4. Rhewhton thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I tried using the option "leave the current file system intact" and I got a "press any key to reboot from CD - disk error" message. It's hard to know whether this reveals a more fundamental problem with my mac or whether it reflects a problem caused by choosing "leave the curent file system intact". I've never had any real problems with the mac os. Please, if there are any other suggestions on what to try let me know.

5. Rhewhton thread starter macrumors newbie

I took my imac into the genius bar at an Apple store close to hear. They said that the OEM software was the problem and that I would need to get a non-OEM copy of XP. (Actually, they said that in a small number of cases it does work but usually it doesn't.) I was able to get Amazon to allow me to return it for a refund. I went back to see what Amazon sells and am not sure which type of XP to buy. I'm kind of gunshy after this recent experience. The literature that Apple has on-line isn't very much help either. For example it doesn't discuss the OEM vs. non-OEM issue. Can anyone recommend a product to me (ideally, a link to a product) that you know would work? I would also potentially be interested in Windows 7 if I could be confident it would work.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

OEM is not likely the main source of your problem since you are apparently using a fresh/clean version from Amazon and not one customized and "recycled" from a Dell or other third party vendor. This is mainly why Apple recommends against using OEM.

Note also that OEM is not licensed to end users. It is licensed to and intended for system builders who are integrating a system for resale to an unrelated third party.
    http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?PageID=563841
    That doesn't mean you can't use it, just that the license terms aren't quite compatible with your intended use.
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1561

New retail packaged Windows XP is no longer supposed to be on the shelves, so you are definitely better off getting Windows 7. Amazon still seems to have some stock of XP Pro SP2 here: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Win..._1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1262127323&sr=8-1 the home version is only avaiable from other vendors on Amazon and might actually be the OEM version as these things are not well regulated.

This is the mainstream version of Windows 7 on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Win..._1_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1262126600&sr=8-2. It should work fine, many including myself are running Windows 7 on our Macs, but is still not supported by Apple with updated drivers. So you would have no luck getting any support from the kind folks at the genius bar until Boot Camp is updated for Windows 7 sometime early next year. Note that you will need Snow Leopard to get the Boot Camp upgrade, so you might want to pick up a $29 Snow Leopard upgrade while you are at it too.

B

7. Rhewhton thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Balamw. The approach you describe, with the snow leopard upgrade followed by windows 7, is precisely how I have been leaning. The main reason I need windows is to run a specific piece of software and I just found out that at the moment it will run on the 32 bit version of windows but not on the 64 bit version. I'm sure that later it will be compatible with both the 32 and 64. I wonder how much of a hassle it would be to install as 32 bit initially and then switch to 64 bit later.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just a reinstall. And another reason to get the full retail package of Windows as it includes both 32 and 64 bit versions in one box. Also since retail versions come with transfer rights, you have an easier time re-installing even if you move your license to a new Mac or PC.

B