Problem with wireless network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by timmyb, Aug 11, 2009.

1. timmyb macrumors 6502

I moved in to a new flat yesterday and have been trying to set up a wireless network but am having trouble with the connection.

When I moved in there was a USB ADSL modem so I replaced it with a Belkin 54g modem router. I followed the belkin set-up cd and have a network up and running. Initially I could connect and browse wirelessly without problems. Then I got a few "timeouts" when trying to connect, that seemed to go away but now I connect with the password, full signal shows for a couple of seconds then it seems to disconnect and I can't browse wirelessly. All through this there have been no internet problems if I go 'wired' with the ethernet cable.

Is there anything I can try? When attempting to use wirelessly I've been in the same room as the router, no more than a couple of meters away. Is it a problem of G routers instead of having N?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. For the time being I'm having to sit here with a yellow cable stuck in to my Macbook!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You could try changing channels on the router. There are often tons of wireless networks in an apartment building, so the default channels can get a lot of interference.

3. timmyb thread starter macrumors 6502