Problem with wireless on new 17" unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dizzy810, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Dizzy810 macrumors member

Hey everyone,

I am having a problem with the new 17" unibody I got a few weeks ago. It started right after I switched from Qwest DSL to Comcast cable earlier this week.

I am having trouble accessing the portal for my school https://my.waldenu.edu/portal/User/LCPLogin.aspx. The page will never load, and I have waited over 20 mins waiting for it to load. If I go to my school's main website http://www.waldenu.edu it works fine. If I use my iMac that is connected to the router over ethernet it works fine. If I use my companies laptop (Dell) over wireless it works fine. My wireless router is a Netgear WNR834Bv2.

I am also having general speed problems with the 17". On my iMac from speedtest or speakeasy I get around 20mbps. On the 17" if I am in my office right next to the router I get about the same. If I go to the next room over my speeds drop to about 1mbps. I understand that there will be some speed loss with wireless, but not this much. I don't see how being on the other side of a wall would affect it so much.

Thanks in advance.

2. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I assume you have done all basic troubleshooting activities related to this. I would suggest taking it to Apple and let them diagnose it. I have a 17" and have experienced none of the problems you write about.

3. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Have you tried it with some different browsers? Sometimes Safari doesn't let me in to certain portals either, so I try Firefox. Now there is Chrome to try too.

And if that doesn't work - get VMware and use IE! :eek:

4. Dizzy810 thread starter macrumors member

I don't think it would be a Safari issue since it works fine with Safari on my iMac. I will try Firefox though thanks

5. Dizzy810 thread starter macrumors member

Well looks like I got it fixed. It was something with my wireless router. I updated the firmware to dd-wrt and all my problems are now gone. I am getting about 15mbps on the 17" from any room in the house. Much better then the 1mbps that I was getting.