Problem with Wirless Networks

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Max Payne, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

Hello everybody. I would really appreciate it, if you could help me with my network connection problem.

I have a DSL network at home. All my windows laptops are connected to it wirelessly, buy my Mac OS X can't.

The network is PPPoe and running with Bridge protocol. It isn't DHCP so I cannot directly connect to it.

When I am using my windows laptop. I connect to the wireless network which is WEP protected. After I log in to the network, I have to log in to another network, which is a broadband connection. (This network has been set-up manually in my windows PC). I have another username & password for this connection. Basically, I connect to 2 networks to use the internet.

In my MacBook Pro, I connect to the DLink wireless connection, but I have no idea how to connect to the second "broadband" wireless connection. I tried so many thing and I still failed. I have this problem for 6 months now.

Please, help me.

2. brandone macrumors member

All you need to do is input your PPPoE into your wireless router. Instead of your computer negotiating your username and password, the wireless router will. You will then be running DHCP on your local network through the router.

Example:
    DSL ISP (Internet) ------> Modem (External IP Negotiated by PPPoE) ------> Wireless Router (Internal IP Negotiated by DHCP)

If you have a combo modem and wireless router (many DSL users do), you will have to purchase a stand alone wireless router. Linksys has a very friendly GUI.
    good luck!