Problem x1900xt not working on MacPro!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by olioko, Mar 12, 2008.

1. olioko macrumors newbie

Ordered from eBay Graphics Card Upgare (Ati Radeon x1900xt / Part# 102A5202752 000006) for my new mac pro (early 2008). It came in white box with Apple logos. Attached and powered it but I get only "No Signal" on my monitors (LCD: Eizo FlexScan S2401W and Samsung SyncMaster 225BW). Tried different cables: DVI-D Single-link, DVI-D dual, DVI-I Dual and VGA+Apple DVI-adaptor - no effect.

It seems like the new card isn't recognized properly?

Systemprofile says (Translated from Finnish):

Display:

Type: Display
    Bus: PCIe
    Slot: Slot-1
    PCIe: x16
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x7249
    Revision-ID: 0x0000

Card:
    Type: VGA-display
    Driver installed: Yes
    Bus: PCI
    Slot: Slot-1
    Vendor: 0x1002
    Device ID: 0x7249
    Revision-ID: 0x0000

Tried also to update the drivers for x1900xt but got the message "This computer does not need this update".

Have I received (ordered) a PC card ??? :mad:

2. waremaster macrumors 6502

I thought I remembered reading that the ATI X1900XT from the 2006-2007 Mac Pro was not compatible with the early 2008 model machines. But from what is being said on this site you can buy an EVGA pc 8800GT video card and flash it to work in your Mac Pro. I would guess the price would be very similar to what you paid for the ATI card.

3. olioko thread starter macrumors newbie

I spent couple of days trying to find out the correct specifications to get the right card. Seems that I failed :eek:

Bought it from here http://stores.ebay.ie/digiexcess Could it be possible they have f****d me and sent me a PC card?

Are there any threat to flash these cards? Will it still work with Paralles on Mac? I'm not playing any games.

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Maybe, but an X1900XT either way is not the card you want nor need nor can use with a 2008 MacPro.

Youre looking for:

ATI 2600XT
    or
    nVidia 8800GT

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can use an X1900 in a Penryn Mac Pro, but an 8800 GT is far superior.

6. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Apparently so, because the x1900xt isnt working for him :p

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

He may have indeed gotten a PC card, as he already suggested. eBay'll do that to you.

8. olioko thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank's for your replies - appreciate all.
    Probably it is a "old" Mac card because the "nice" box included Apple booklets and right power cables etc...

**** happens - but seldom with Macs :apple:

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yet often with eBay. :p:(

10. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

If you got a Windows version of the X1900, you could try to flash it with Mac compatible ROM...

11. jchung macrumors newbie

How are you able to get the system profile if the ATI X1900XT isn't working? Do you have another video card in the Mac Pro? If so, what card is it?

Also, what slot is the X1900XT in? What slot is the other card in?

Is this the NEW NEW NEW 2008 Mac Pro? Or is it the OLD 2008 Mac Pro?

According to Barefeats, the X1900XT should work in both the old and new Mac Pros. http://www.barefeats.com/quick.html

If you suspect you got the PC X1900XT, you can attempt to flash it with a Mac X1900XT firmware. Instructions are at http://www.tenthousandpercent.com/?section=other&article=76

I did this myself on my old Mac Pro. I had an issue with creating the BOOT CD. Look for my comments post on that article (same username) before you attempt it.

Of course, there is the possibility the card is bad. period. Have you tried running a hardware diagnostic on bootup of the Mac?

Joo

12. olioko thread starter macrumors newbie

It's the "Early 2008" Mac Pro

Have been trying slot 1 and 2 with and with and without the orginal ATI Radeon HD 2600.

Now I'm worried.... I tried to run the Hardware Test. The test didn't finish and computer freezed. Tried it several times from DVD and with out the disk. Had it even over night and it didn't finish. The test start up normally and freeze after couple of minutes.
    :confused::confused::confused:

Maybe I have to reinstall the OSX ?

13. matt321 macrumors member

I have read that you may need to install the x1900 xt in an old mac pro and do a firmware upgrade through software update.