Problematic 9400m?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MowingDevil, Nov 16, 2008.

1. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I've had the machine for a week now and no problems. Yesterday I was trying out some earth type desktops and screensavers. The one I settled on was the defcon globe screensaver from ambrosia. Worked like a charm.

Then today got busy and nartually the screensaver came on....then a secondary screensaver come on w/ a floating apple logo and my name as the computer's owner floating around slowly...then the screen went blank (deep sleep mode I assume).

Problem was, it wouldn't wake up. Up until now its always awoken from sleep although I usually sleep it by closing the lid which didn't happen this time. I had to do hold the power button down to force a restart.

When it booted up everything seemed fine except the screensaver now has blue and red artifacts on it. The horizontal red line seems to float from the middle to the top of the screen and then over again. I tried rebooting. I reset the PRAM. I deleted the file and reloaded it. Nothing seemed to get rid of these artifacts.

I switched over to the 9600 and the screensaver worked perfect. So I went back to the 9400 and well, problem was back. Now if it wasn't for the 9600 working w/ it I'd simply dump the screensaver thinking it was incompatible but it did work yesterday and this morning and also works w/ the 9600 which scares me into thinking something is wrong w/ the 9400. Any thoughts?

Not sure if this is related to the sleep issue which happened right before it or not. I do have iStat Pro which I've read may have been the cause of sleep issues on the previous gen MBP.

[​IMG]

2. jgo78 macrumors 6502

i downloaded and ran it for a while on the 9400m and it's fine.

Im not sure what to suggest for your issue.

3. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Thanks. I didn't think that was the problem, it ran fine yesterday and today until the machine went into deep sleep with it running.

4. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Its doing it when playing DVDs too; only on the 9400 but, like the screensaver not on the 9600. Guess I'll call Apple and maybe make a Genius appointment... :(