Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adwolfe12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
I just got done replacing the MagSafe DC in board on my June 2009 MBP and am having issues with the fans constantly on. Also, the trackpad isn't sensing my finger on it.

I thought I did some pretty good work but I guess I didn't :mad:. I took a look around but didn't see anything out of the norm but will look again.

Anything I should be looking at specifically?

Thanks, Alex

Pax

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2003
I guess that by fan "constantly on" you mean at very high speed, loud and obtrusive.

That's probably a problem with a temperature sensor. Either you damaged one during the dissection, or more likely you failed to plug one of the sensor leads back into the logic board on reassembly.

If you run Hardware Test (on your install DVD) it will tell you which sensor is faulty, but it can be a bit cryptic in its description and require a bit of Googling to relate the fault code to an actual sensor.

Hopefully you can spot a "spare wire" and just plug it back in.

moel

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Either you fried something, or you left the trackpad cable and fan cable unplugged inside the machine

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
Yeah, if the temperature sensor is unplugged or broken the fans will just keep running fast all the time because it's got no idea how hot the computer is anymore.

I think both of these issues have been caused by you either forgetting to plug things back in, or them just falling out when you were putting everything back together :)

adwolfe12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
I looked at it again last night and didn't see anything lose or what looked to be broken. I don't think I sensor is broke because smcfancontrol sees the temp and so does iStat pro.

I'll do a hardware check and see what comes up.

Thanks, Alex

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.