Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
After I installed Tiger on my 1.67 Powerbook, it seems to be running slower. Whenever I close a program, it takes 5 seconds to actually close. Loading up programs seems to take a tad bit longer. Some of my Apps freeze up. And when I turn the volume up and down it lags for a few seconds.

Has anyone else had any of these problems? Is there anything I can do to fix them?

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
ever since i installed Tiger (about a month ago) its been a bit slow.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
I have noticed my PB, g5 imac and ibook have all slowed down after installing tiger. I did clean installs on all of them and my computers might as well be Windoze PC's for the stability and response times they show...
I am very disappointed with tiger and am probably going back to 10.3.9 since I had the best speeds and performance with it.
I have gotten the "the appliaction Mac OS X has unexpectedly quit please restart..." message thrice in one week...

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Leareth said:
I have noticed my PB, g5 imac and ibook have all slowed down after installing tiger. I did clean installs on all of them and my computers might as well be Windoze PC's for the stability and response times they show...
I am very disappointed with tiger and am probably going back to 10.3.9 since I had the best speeds and performance with it.
I have gotten the "the appliaction Mac OS X has unexpectedly quit please restart..." message thrice in one week...
Likewise. in fact, I have just gone back to 10.3.9. It's a great relief. No more flakiness, no more widgets, no more spotlight missing things: bliss!

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
Here's hoping that when 10.4.2 is released in one of the next few days that it will solve most if not all of my major problems with Tiger.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
should i uninstall it also? it seems like a lot of people are having the same problems i am.
has there been any news on an update coming out and making the OS smoother?
i really don't want to uninstall it because i spent $100 to get it in the first place!

brandona788

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2005
Of course Tiger is going to be a tad slower than 10.3.9. Apple has added all these new features and made a priority of getting them working and stable before working on speed. I for one am glad that they are working on stability and functionality before making them faster.

By the way, what kind of installations did everyone do? Was it an upgrade or a clean install with a fresh format of the file system?

-Brandon

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
The Netherlands - Utrecht
I've done clean installs on a PB and a PM <G4>

It's not notacible slower or faster, but i do get more 'unexpected quits'. i'm thinking about using my second (yet unused) harddisk for 10.3.9 to compare in my PM and do a possible downgrade as well...

Actually, i'm quite surprised <and glad> i'm not the only one with a flaky OS

On my PB i've even installed 10.4 twice since it came out, bacause it wouln't pair with my BT mouse after a while....

brandona788

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2005
I understand about people having problems and unexpected quits, but remember this is less than a .5 release so there are going to be problems. I'm a recent switcher so I'm just pleased to have an OS that doesn't require a reboot after the browser crashes.

So in short, I give Tiger up to 10.4.5 before virtually all "bugs" are out of it.

-Brandon

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
skunk said:
Likewise. in fact, I have just gone back to 10.3.9. It's a great relief. No more flakiness, no more widgets, no more spotlight missing things: bliss!

Do you have to do a clean install, or can you 'update'? I'm really hacked off with Tiger and all the stuff that now doesn't work....

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Gee said:
Do you have to do a clean install, or can you 'update'? I'm really hacked off with Tiger and all the stuff that now doesn't work....
I'm afraid you can't "upgrade". You have to Erase and Install, and then apply the Combined Updater. Tiger changes so much under the hood (which is probably why it breaks so many things).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.