Problems after last EFI update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tomegun, Mar 2, 2012.

1. tomegun macrumors 6502

tomegun

All,

I guess the wifi problem is wide spread, but I recently started having it after the latest EFI update. My wifi will work fine, I will close the lid over night or for a few hours and when I open it I can't connect to the internet. The wifi icon still shows I am connected, but it isn't connected to the internet, messages, etc. I can toggle it off and on (wifi) a few times and it might work or I can reboot to get it to work. Does anyone know what I could do to fix this? I have applecare on it.

I spoke to someone at Apple on the phone yesterday. He had me press option, command, shift and the power button momentarily. When I did this and rebooted I couldn't reproduce the problem, but that was only because I didn't leave it closed for very long. He also told me that I should shut down my systems when I'm not going to use them - overnight or extended periods of time. I haven't done this since I started using Macs...has anything changed that is reason for doing this?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Overnight? Sleep is fine. An extended period of time? I would shut it down. I would define extended as more than a day or two of not being used.

3. shootist macrumors regular

As you have said the WiFi problem is wide spread on SOME Mac's whether notebooks or desktops/all in ones (iMac's).

Apple will not do a thing about it for those that have these problems as they say it your router, interference and not the Mac although every other wireless device, whether Apple or other product, stay connected forever with no problems.

Good Luck.

4. tarponbeach macrumors member

I'm having the same WiFi issue on my late 2011 13". The problem began after the EFI update. What I do is turn WiFi off, then on, and it re-connects fine. Annoying, but not major.

5. tomegun thread starter macrumors 6502

tomegun

I understand that doing this isn't a big deal, but it is still something I don't want to do and shouldn't have to do. As someone else mentioned, I don't have this problem with my other devices and my router is a...wait for it...Time Capsule.

Do you think it is worth it to make a Genius Bar appointment for?

6. tarponbeach macrumors member

I agree. Worth a trip to the Genius bar if you have a few hours to kill. Let us know what they find out.

7. GRIdpOOL macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue since the latest EFI update. PRAM reset didn't fix it. I'm trying some other things and I'll let you know what I might discover.

8. tomegun thread starter macrumors 6502

tomegun

Mine is working OK now. This is one thing they had me do: shut down the system. Press the following buttons momentarily (one count): power button, command, option, shift. The system should not turn on.

9. GRIdpOOL macrumors newbie

I had to reinstall EFI 2.7... Apparently it didn't fully take the first time. It was still listed in my software updates list. After that, I deleted my "remembered" WiFi network, rebooted, and re-added/connected to my network. Things work fine now.:apple::apple::apple: