Problems after modifying the sharing permissions of the Macintosh HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bars, Dec 20, 2014.

1. bars, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014

bars macrumors newbie

Ok, so today i was testing my MacBook air file sharing feature with a pc with linux mint. Everything was ok, suddenly I noticed that my mac was sharing the Macintosh HD folder too, so i decided to modify the sharing permissions of the Macintosh HD in my mac. Suddenly everything just went wrong: my linux pc stopped responding, i had to turn it off the hard way. But also my mac crashed, also turned it off the hard way. When I turned it on again and after logging in, the loading screen stops responding:
    [​IMG]
    Did I mess up? How do I fix it, should I try cmd+R? , please help me i am desperated, the thing is not even six months old (early 2014 model).

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Can you remember exactly how you "modified the sharing permissions of the Macintosh HD"?

You SHOULD have done that by excluding folders that you don't want shared, and leaving in place ONLY those folders that you need to share. You can do ALL that through the Sharing pref pane. Changing permissions for your hard drive (your Macintosh HD) through your Get Info window for the hard drive would be an unfortunate mistake if you don't know what you are doing.

If you are not sure now how you changed permissions, and now it won't boot, then boot to Cmd+R, and Reinstall OS X. That will reinstall over what you have now, and you won't lose music or your other files and applications that you have added.

3. bars thread starter macrumors newbie

I Remember that in the get info window i saw the shared folder box unchecked so I checked it and unchecked it again. I remember deleting the "wheel" user, i think that's where I messed up everything

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yep - not good. The Wheel user is an internal one, used by the system for all user activities - virtually everything the system does. If you remove the Wheel user, then you can't boot - but you know that, now…
    This link can provide a fix without needing to reinstall.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1973204?start=0&tstart=0

That's going to require that you feel a little comfortable with the command line, in the terminal.
    However, I would choose to just reinstall OS X - from the Cmd+R Recovery System boot.

5. bars thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, will the reinstall delete my documents and files?

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Already answered your question about that in post #2.