Problems after Time Machine restore

Discussion in 'macOS' started by djrobsd, May 11, 2011.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Just bought a new 15" MBP.... Awesome machine, was loving every minute of it until I tried the fabulous Time Machine feature....

A few problems...

When I setup my laptop, I did not pick the "migrate data" because I was in a hurry to do it, and was at work, so when I got home I opened the migration assistant and ran through, letting it migrate my documents, programs, and settings.

Unfortunately, post migration, I now have 2 users, the one I created when I first turned my MBP on and my old user with all my stuff. Is there a way to merge these user accounts, because I don't want to have 2 accounts on my machine... Also there are some programs I installed under the new user and I want those to be visible under the old user, but they are not. I guess I could just reinstall them. ;)

Second problem, and more critical. My iPhoto library is 60 gigs... When I open iPhoto, it just sits there with the little wait icon spinning (not the beach ball - but the one with the lines that kind of look like a sun).... It doesnt seem to want to launch my library, so I'm stuck not being able to get into my photo library.

I really need to fix the photo library issue, any ideas?

Should I just reinstall OSX and do the restore again, this time making sure I do the restore initially rather then after setting up the machine?

Thanks for your help, in advance!!!

2. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Normally you want in that situation you want to create an account with a different name than the one you are migrating over. Then when the migration is complete, delete that account using the migrated one.

3. laurenr, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011

laurenr macrumors 6502a

Having gone the Migration route a number of times, I can tell you that the best way to do this is to start over, and create the IDENTICAL username on the new machine, then migrate your data over. This avoids all sorts of problems with "permissions" issues, and would very likely clear up your iPhoto problem as well. I would reinstall the OSX and upon the initial setup screen, when asked how you want to proceed,how you wish to migrate information from your old Mac, choose "From Time Machine backup or other disk." You will then be given a choice of the accounts you have backed up from your original machine. Depending on what you backed up, you will also be given the option to transfer Applications and Network settings, etc.

4. laurenr macrumors 6502a

For your Iphoto application to recognize its original Library after your Migration is complete. Check in on your new computer, inside your "Pictures" folder for the actual "iPhoto Library". It will look something like this:

iphoto lib.jpg

If by chance, you do not see it, then take it manually off of the original Mac's Picture folder.
    When you start iPhoto, hold down the OPTION KEY, keeping it down until you are given the option to "create or choose" an iPhoto Library. Then select that file that is in your Pictures folder, and your Albums should show up just fine.

5. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm.. No dice, I tried that (thanks, never knew you could hold down option to select a different library.. awesome!)... And I select the iPhoto library under my user name which has all 60 gigs of my photos (if I look at it in Finder and I select "show package contents" I can browse, and see, all my photos, so I know there is nothing wrong with the package).... But it still doesn't load.

I guess I'll try starting over.. Lots of time lost, but in the end if it works, thank god.. ;)

6. laurenr macrumors 6502a

What version of iPhoto are you using? The latest Application (2011) is very problematic; many people are downgrading to the '09 version.
    I have one other thing to try. When you look at the "package contents" you mention above, look for the folder named "Masters" and drag it into the iPhoto window when the application is open. I remember seeing this tip when I downgraded from '11 to '09.

7. laurenr macrumors 6502a

I just found this link via another Time Machine thread on this forum. This could restore your iPhoto Library completely. Go to this link:

http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/15.html

Then scroll to the bottom of the page and look for this title:

"Restoring via iPhoto:"