Problems after trying to download torrent

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ian m, Oct 30, 2014.

1. ian m macrumors newbie

I'm running Maverick 10.9 on a 2014 Retina MBP using Google Chrome.

A friend suggested a movie, I tried to download it with torrents. I immediately stopped the download as soon as I noticed that I was getting ads at the top of almost every page I visited, which shouldn't happen since I use Adblock. I found a way to turn the ads off, but now if I visit a page sometimes ads pop up as separate tabs in Chrome. On this forum, in fact, any time I click a link a new tab opens up with an ad. The layout of this forum would also sometimes get wonky, and a video of Miley Cyrus popped up between two thread links on this forum. I also see some words that shouldn't be hyperlinked being hyperlinked to ads.

I also opened up Firefox to see if the same thing was happening and it was. I also tried checking my email on AOL and the site was completely broken, both on Chrome and Firefox.

Any idea what this is, and any idea of what I can do to fix it? It appears to just be affecting my internet browser, nothing else.

2. ian m thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind, I seem to have found the issue. I downloaded Adwaremedic and ran it and it sound some Adware was installed. It quarantined the files and I deleted them off my computer and the sites I was having problems with (This one and AOL) are back to normal. I'm keeping an eye out, though, but hopefully this fixed the problem.

3. 827538 macrumors 65816

I use Safari + Adblock on OS X and use torrents, never have I had a problem with ads. Also I didn't think Mac's had the same problem with adware that Windows does. Even on Windows I don't have problems anymore, I delete my cache and cookies everytime I shut my browser, I use Adblock Plus on Firefox and regularly scan and clean my system using MSE and CCleaner.