problems after updating from windows 7 to 10, how do i install a fresh bootcamp windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by madeirabhoy, Aug 10, 2015.

1. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

do i have to reinstall windows 7 again first?

2. doynton macrumors 6502

No. Once you have upgraded 7 to 10 you can clean install - just press skip when you are asked for the key number and you will be authenticated automatically as soon as you connect to the internet.

I did this though and found the automatic compression did not run. I therefore did an in-place upgrade from 10 Pro to 10 Pro and my Windows installation shrank from 19.2 GB to 3.8 GB.

3. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

do i download windows 10 first, or does bootcamp do it all ? see before i had windows 7 on a dvd

4. doynton macrumors 6502

If you have a valid license for Windows 7 then you have to upgrade it to 10. This is how you get the free upgrade. You have done this apparently.

Once you have authenticated your 10 install you can clean install (but you would need to download the ISO first from Microsoft). It will validate automatically by checking a combination of numbers generated by your hardware against those held on Microsoft servers which were added when you did the upgrade.

Bootcamp will not do anything for you - you have to do it yourself.