Problems after updating to 10.5.7

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JamesGorman, Jun 3, 2009.

1. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Well after the initial update, i had some problems starting the system up and getting it to load properly, it took a couple tries, but since that was resolved, it hasn't done that again.

As of late though I've experienced 4 or 5 total system lock ups. Just today (5minutes ago) I was on safari and when i used expose to switch to msn it woudl not let me select anything and just stayed on the expose screen. I had to hold down my power button to resart, as even when i tried to do it from the :apple: button, it would not let me select anything. Also, after finally restarting the system, it now says that I have no bluetooth module connected to my computer. I never had any of these problems before the update. The system is also running noticeably hotter than before. I have not installed any programs or anything lately and Im pretty sure that my other software is not the problem, Im positive that its OSX that is doing this. If anyone can offer any help, that'd be great.

Thanks,
    James

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Try repairing permissions. A lot of users recommend that after an update.

3. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Thats been done already. Any other thoughts?

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

5. core2duo macrumors member

I've also noticed that my machine (17" Core Duo iMac) won't recognize my Bluetooth module after installing 10.5.7, though I haven't experienced the lockups you mentioned. What I might do is boot the machine in Target Disk Mode, and connect it to another Mac. Then download the 10.5.7 Combo Update from apple.com, and run it on the targeted computer. This will replace a lot of core system files with the most up to date variety (unlike applying the update via Software Update, which only patches), and may help resolve your issue. Otherwise, an Archive & Install might be necessary.

Repairing permissions only effects software installed with a receipt file, and resetting PRAM doesn't really apply in this case.

6. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

What does an archive and install do? Will i have all my files and settings afterwards?

7. mbpcron macrumors member

mbpcron

My MBP has been flawless until 10.5.7

5 freeze ups in 3 days. Then won't boot unless I boot from CD and repair the HD. So either the HD is bad (SMART says ok) or something bad is happening at the file system or memory level. When I first put 10.5.7 on it would not play a DVD I created with 10.5.6. Now this.
    Right now I'm using carboncopy to create a bootable external drive.:(