problems after upgrading RAM (13 2011 early)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CREB, May 11, 2012.

1. CREB, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012

CREB macrumors newbie

Hey there,

I recently upgraded my stock 4gb ram to a 8gb 1600Mhz RAM.
    this is the RAM I bought from amazon. The first time I replaced my stock RAM with the new one, I could immediately tell that the new RAMs were incompatible with my mac (e.g. computer freezes while running memtest). So I got a replacement from amazon (same model/brand). As soon as I put the newest ones in, I ran single user mode and typed memtest all 2. I ended up getting no errors and I was happy. I rebooted to bootcamp and I noticed everything was incredibly slower than usual (e.g. firefox would take 5minutes to load). In the process of trying to figure out what might be causing this slow symptom, the computer just reverted back to normal speeds again on its own. I turned on dota2 and started playing and after a couple mins, the screen became distorted and froze the computer (exactly what happened with the last batch of RAMs which gave me error). I decided to restart and rebooted to bootcamp again. This time I was watching a video and I paused the video. After having the computer go idle for a couple seconds after pausing the video, I get the same distorted screen and the computer froze again. I turned off the computer and ran memtest using single use mode again. I typed memtest all 2 and I got no errors again.

Any suggestions on what I can do?

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Buy the correct RAM? None of the early 2011 13'' model CPUs can handle 1600 MHz RAM. While I assume the RAM gets down clocked, this is a possible source of instability.

3. CREB thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm I read that sandy bridge supports 1600mhz. Is this really not true for early versions?

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sounds like you have defective memory. Return for an exchange.