Problems backing up with Super Duper and CCC. A little help please

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dr Awkward, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Dr Awkward macrumors newbie

I just got a new Macbook Pro and am now in the process of moving my old files around and backing everything up.

I tried using Super Duper a handfull of times and I always get an error 28 which says that my destination drive is full. I tried using CCC and it always gets stuck when copying over one of the sbin folders.

HD in the Macbook Pro is 500G with 313 G free (only music and photos + OS). My destination drive is a brand new LaCie 1TB that has already been reformatted to Mac OS Extended Journaled and has not been partitioned (although I plan to partition as soon as I can get a backup that I can boot from). I've checked the health of both drives using the verify button on Disk Utility and it says that everything is fine.

Please help!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did it come pre-formatted, or did you format it? I would partition the drive first and format it, then use CCC to clone your internal drive.

3. Dr Awkward thread starter macrumors newbie

The drive came preformatted from lacie but it was all PC software. I reformatted the drive to Mac os extended journalled. I originally partitioned first, THEN backed up but I kept on getting the errors I listed above.

Another message board (reddit) suggested leaving out the sbin folder but my understanding is that sbin are hidden os files and I wouldn't be able to bootup off the backup. Thoughts? I'm no mac expert

Thanks all

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You shouldn't have to leave out anything in the backup. Using CCC, try backing up only the folder that gets stuck. If that works, then try a complete clone. By the way, what settings are you using on CCC?

5. Dr Awkward thread starter macrumors newbie

I left the house for about an hour and a half and left super duper running and this time it copied about 60G and stopped due to the same error 28 stated before. This is without partitioning the HD ahead of time. Before, super duper would only copy ~15G and stop if I partitioned ahead of time. Settings I used for SD are "backup all files" and smart update under advanced.

For CCC, I was using "maintain a backup, no archiving" and didn't change anything under advanced settings.

I'll try what you suggested and report back soon.

Thanks for the help and suggestions so far

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

The first time you use "Smart Update" on a new drive, it should copy the entire volume. I use SuperDuper with 6 different external drives (different systems) and no problems at all. The drives are iomega and one is a Seagate. Are you sure you partitioned the drive correctly?

I am backing up a 320gb drive right now and the destination partition is only 250 gb, and there's no issue.

Did you set up the external as GUID partition table?

7. Dr Awkward thread starter macrumors newbie

I am 99% sure that I partitioned and formatted my external HD correctly. I chose Mac OS extended Journalled and under Partition Map Scheme it says GUID partition table.

I am currently running Super Duper right now using smart update from the last backup that got to 60G and failed. It's looking good so far. Kind of weird as I have done literally the same except for partitioning BEFORE backup and partitioning AFTER backup.

Thanks for the suggestions

I'lll be back with an update hopefully soon

8. Dr Awkward thread starter macrumors newbie

I got SD to work and was able to bootup from the clone. I also partitioned the hard drive AFTER backing up and everything seems to be working fine for the time being.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Dr. A