Problems booting Dual 1.42 PM MDD think it may be power supply

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hawaiianchief, Aug 24, 2010.

1. hawaiianchief macrumors newbie

I have had this PowerMac for ~6 years and over the past year it has been getting worse and worse about booting. I have to entirely unplug it from any power source and then push the power button a couple times, then reconnect the power cord and power it on. Most of the time having to repeat this process 5 or six times just to get it to power on. I believe it is the power supply going out but wanted to see if there is something else I should be doing to know for sure if it is the ps or something else. Also just recently (within the last ~1 month) it has been dying (turning off) without me shutting it down and without there being a power outage or spike. I have it on a protected outlet. Any ideas?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Shutting off on it's own? Sounds like the power supply, to me.

Don't fret! I was able to cram a regular ATX power supply in my G4 and brought it back from the brink of death! Which was a great deal, because the guy traded it to me for a Pentium 4 Dell, saying, "Well, a dead computer for a good one, sounds great!" Hahaha.

There she is, up at the top of the case. The only downside was I was unable to use large PCI cards. They had to be rather short or the panel would not close =\

[​IMG]

3. hawaiianchief thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I would be all for giving it a go, however I really only have one pci slot being used but it is fairly important. It is a four port USB 2.0 adapter. I would really miss having USB 2.0. I know this is more a question for MrCheeto but I'd love to hear anyones take. Do you think I could get by on just moving the USB adapter down to the lowest slot and still fit the regular ATX power supply, also does anyone know how many watts the ps needs to handle for this machine?

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Mine was 260w and I never ran into a problem. Then again I was running only two hard drives, one optical drive, the STOCK Radeon 9000 Pro, a WiFi PCI card and a USB 2.0 PCI card.

The power supply that I used did allow for my four-port USB card to clear it, so long as it was on the bottom slot.

Time to do some measuring ;)