Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevstor2009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
Hi there,

Absolute newbie to the Mac world. Picked up a G4 Cube from a friend running 10.3.9.

I'm currently trying to burn a bootable image file using OS X 10.3.9's Disk Utility software. I have an external DVD Burner connected to a G4 Cube via Firewire. The issue is that when I select "burn" from the menu and point to the respective .dmg file, Disk Utility does not recognise the attached DVD burner. The burner is however recognised in Toast (which I also have installed).

What might the issue be? I have searched high and low on the net in an attempt to diagnose the issue to no avail. Is there an alternative solution to burning bootable disks in 10.3.9?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Kevin

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
OS versions prior to 10.5 often needed help with recognizing/using external burners (or even internal ones on occasion), so a guy developed a free little utility called PatchBurn. Just go to that page to read about it, then when you click the download link you will find the version needed for you OS version. That should take care of the problem pretty simply! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.