Problems burning CD-R from OS X Lion 10.7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nrkid9, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Nrkid9 macrumors newbie

Hi, I recently bought a mid-2012 Macbook Pro (2.9ghz model) and I'm trying to burn a copy of XP to a CD-R (Lost my original disk) so that I can install it on my other computer.

My first issue was that the Disk Utility wouldn't recognize the CD-R. After a bit of research, I changed the default setting in the System Preferences to open any CD that I put into the Superdrive as a Finder window. This worked and I was able to see the disk with the burn icon next to it in Finder. I continue to extract the ISO, copy my files, and burn the CD. Now I try to put the CD into my computer, but it doesn't recognize the CD at all. It won't even show up in the Disk Management area (Currently on Win2k)

So I do some more research and apparently this is an issue from many users in the Apple support community, and that only Macs would be able to read the files burned to a CD-R (Apparently the same goes for DVDs but I am not working in that area.) My initial thought was that the burned disk was bad so I insert it back to my Macbook and all the files are viewable in Finder. This doesn't make any sense to me, so I turn the computer off and try to boot into the CD by holding Option as the computer starts. At the boot disk selection screen I don't even see the CD, so my initial thoughts were partially correct, the disk is bad (in a way.)

I'd like to know if any of you guys here have run into this problem and found a solution to it?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Computer specs (I doubt it makes a difference but if it may come in handy?)

2.9GHz 2nd Gen i7 processor
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    256GB Crucial M4 6G SSD
    Intel HD4000 GPU

2. lazer155 macrumors regular

Are you using a CD or a DVD to burn to? I've burned XP to a disk before but I used a DVD-R not a CD-R. It should work with a CD-R though as long as the whole iso fits. This is the tutorial that I followed:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060619181010389

3. Nrkid9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm burning to a CD-R. I have one on DVD-R that works fine, but the computer I need to install it to only has a CD drive bay, and can't read DVDs.

Edit: Yes, the whole ISO file fits.