Problems burning disk with iDVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Adidas001, May 16, 2008.

1. Adidas001 macrumors newbie

Ok I have 2 separate problems. The first and most important is a problem when I am trying to burn a DVD of a slideshow in iDVD. I go thru the burn process, test the DVD out on my computer...it works fine. It goes thru all 180 pictures, no problem. When I put the disk in a DVD player, it works until like picture 99 then the DVD stops and it goes to the default DVD player screen (blue screen with a disk) I have tried 2 different DVD players and get same result. I'm freaking out because I have a huge event tomorrow and have to finish this project....ANY help will be MUCH appreciated!!

The second problem is when I insert the DVD to burn it does not recognize/read the blank disk at all. I contacted mac support and they have no idea. My friend suggested using a DVD+r instead of DVD-r and it worked and read the disk, then proceeded to burn. Mac support wants me to send my MacBook Pro in for service, but never suggested using the DVD+r.

I have a MacBook Pro running OS X ver 10.4.11 and my iDVD is 6.0.4

Thanks!!!! Kerri

2. DiamondMania macrumors newbie

Another idea to try

Have you tried to save the dvd as a "Disk Image" and then use "Disk Utility" to burn the DVD. You might want to try that and see if it works. I burn all of my DVD's that way and I've never had a problem.

Good Luck
    Bruce

3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I would try using 1) different media such as another brand because you can get a bad disc or even many bad ones from a bundle 2) burn at a slower speed 3) Try not having a ton of other stuff open while burning (not sure about your RAM amount or App use). If it still happens after doing both save your project, close iDVD and reopen it try again. This happened to me where a video was bad and just by using another media brand it was fine. I have also had a few bad burns due to burning speed for no known reason other than it was a fluke.

Side note also is your drive could be going bad if it doesn't recognize your media as it should see a - or +R disc. I would get your stuff done and make back-ups some how and send it in for service.

4. Adidas001 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried 2 different brands. The -r that was not readable was Maxwell and then I tried Memorex -r and neither would read. The Verbatim +r was then one that worked...well sort of worked lol. The thing is....it works FINE on my mac dvd, it just won't work on a normal DVD player. How do I burn at a slower speed? Is that in setting somewhere?

Also, I did not have ANY applications open at the time of the burn. I also restarted prior, just for good measure. I hardly ever use my DVD player on my mac, only when flying and this is the first time I have ever tried burning a disk. I will try both of you guys' suggestions and hopefully get a good burn, but then I will go ahead and send it in to see if they can isolate the problem.