Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urban8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
I have just bought a new Mac and upgraded to FC Express 4. I am having trouble capturing. It says "Capture encountered a problem reading the data on your source tape. This could be a problem with your tape."

Help...what can I do. I have footage on there that I can't get again!!!

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
I have just bought a new Mac and upgraded to FC Express 4. I am having trouble capturing. It says "Capture encountered a problem reading the data on your source tape. This could be a problem with your tape."

Help...what can I do. I have footage on there that I can't get again!!!

Does capture work from iMovie?

When you say "upgraded to FCE 4" does that mean you used to have another version of FCE on the system?

urban8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
IMovie is not even reading the camera...it was before this. The problem has only started since upgrading. I used to have FCE version 2 I think!!!

GregE

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
Here are a few questions for you.

What camera do you have?
How is it connected to your iMac?
What did you select in Easy Setup?

Maybe you just didn't select the right source.

phojo

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2007
Tape stops playing while importing

I've never had this problem before. While capturing using FCE it will play for a minute or so and then stop, as if it's jammed. However the tape plays back fine when not capturing into FCE and more significantly I don't have the problem importing into iMovie. Any idea why?

:BlackFaith:

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2011
Australia
Heyyy, i know this is an old thread, but for anyone reading over this, i had the same problem... i was using the wrong easy setup mode, i had no idea of the specifications of my camcorder, but after fiddling around with different easy setup options (Final Cut Express menu/Easy Setup)i finally chose the right one for it and it captured smoothly... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.