Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R94N

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 30, 2010
UK
Hi, I'm trying to replace the default Mail icon with a Royal Mail stamp icon which is in a .icns format after I converted it using a program called Img2icns. I read on a Apple help page on Apple's site (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2493?viewlocale=en_US) that you can open the 'get info' window of both the application and the Royal Mail icon and copy and paste the Royal Mail icon to the space where the default Mail icon is. However this isn't working. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but if anyone else in the forum has done this before a bit of guidance/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I thought I'd add a screenshot to show what I mean - http://img697.images...shothelper.png/

I'm following all the instructions OK, but it still doesn't do anything. I have a feeling it might be to do with the size of the stamp icon that I want to replace the default Mail icon with, but I'm not sure.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Hi,

Mail and Safari are very hard to change icons on the official way because they are code signed and access to them are read only according to the Sharing & Permissions section in the Get Info window you have opened earlier. Changing the icons for them like Apple describes requires that you change their permissions from "everyone - read only" to "everyone - Read & Write".

You can then paste your icon on top of Mail. But before you do that I suggest that you reconvert your image with img2icns and makes it a folder icon instead, because otherwise you will see a generic .icns image instead of the actual icon.

Change the permissions back to "everyone - read only" once you have changed the icon for Mail.

If you really want to go beyond what Apple recommends then go inside the Mail app resources using Show Package Contents from the contextual menu and change the name of your .icns file to the exact name of Mail's icns. This overrides the Mail icon the hard way but I think requires an admin password just like the above mentioned method does. This method alters the code signing of Mail app.

I hope this helps. I recommend you take the first suggestion I made by just changing the permissions temporarily for Mail app and then copy paste the folder icon you made with img2icns onto the upper left corner of the Get Info window.

R94N

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 30, 2010
UK
OK, thanks! I will try it. I will tell you the outcome :) Thanks again.

R94N

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 30, 2010
UK
Excellent! That worked perfectly! Thanks! I'll change the permissions back now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.