Problems cloning MBP hd to new drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lightsurgery, Aug 9, 2009.

1. lightsurgery macrumors newbie

lightsurgery

Hi all great forum! Cam accross while searching for answers. Hope someone here can offer advice, and I can post the answer...

So recently bought a new internal HD to replace the one in my early 2008 MBP.
    I read up about swapping them, and got ready to do the (big) deed. The easiest thing, so the guides all say, is the cloning part...

Hmmm....

Well I've spent the last two weeks trying to clone my current HD to the new one. I bought an enclosure, and connected it to my MBP via USB. Then tried with SuperDuper, CCC, and Disk Utility. All three stop cloning at different points. I have no idea why.

I've been susspecting that its permissions errors on my current drive, as no matter what i do in disk utility I cannot seem to repair the list of permissions that are listed when I verify. Could this be the problem? Even though my current HD and everything on it works just fine?

Any one know how to fix this, or in any case successfully clone my drive??

Any help would be soooo greatly appreciated.
    j

2. mrtekkid macrumors regular

I actually have a similar issue. When I upgraded from my old MBP to my new uMBP and used Migration Utility I think it changed my permissions on my applications and other files because when I downloaded updates for programs and dragged them to the Applications folder or delete some stuff...I would get asked to Authenticate and enter my password and whatever.... or in some cases.... I had to delete my Adobe Photoshop Preferences file because it could not write to it.... and yet after deleting it... Photoshop created a new one without any problems.....

Also my Drive Genius 2 will no long let me defrag the drive as a result... :-\