Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I have a 15" unibody MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz processor and 2 GB RAM, running OS X 10.5.6. The laptop has a 250 GB disk on board, standard equipment.

I have been using Time Machine to back up to a 1 TB external (USB) hard disk, and the back up drive now contains 271 GB of stuff. I wanted to clone the backup drive onto a new drive, and then alternately back up to one or the other and keep one off-site.

I got a second 1 TB drive, but partitioned it into 250 GB and 731 GB. I then attempted to clone the 271 GB of backup from the old backup drive into the 731 GB partition of the new drive. It simply will not work.

Carbon Copy Cloner froze three times while attempting to copy. It never gave any reason, or any error message, it would just completely freeze and not make a single byte of progress for an hour.

SuperDuper! made continuous progress for 5 hours 21 minutes, copying "221 GB", but then passed an error "file or directory does not exist". I don't know how to interpret the 221 GB, because there is 271 GB of used space on the source drive, but the progress bar made it look as if it was copying all 932 GB of capacity.

Do the two drives need to be exactly and precisely the same size? The documentation for both cloning utilities says no. Do I have to make sure Time Machine is completely turned off? Well, I did, and it still failed. Also, how can these utilities clone the boot drive while the OS is running if they can't handle a little simultaneous activity?

Please help, thanks.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I think the problem may lie in both CCC and SuperDuper! not being aware of the special structure of TM backup drives (i.e. hard links to directories, something that will give any backup program fits if it is unaware that these exist).

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I think the problem may lie in both CCC and SuperDuper! not being aware of the special structure of TM backup drives (i.e. hard links to directories, something that will give any backup program fits if it is unaware that these exist).

That would make perfect sense to me, except that other people out there claim that they have successfully done exactly what I am trying. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info about this on the internet, and most of it is hearsay from individual reports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.