Problems connecting 2010 MBP to HDMI tv

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jamie0003, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

I recently purchased a mini displayport to HDMI adapter, and since connecting my MBP to my HDTV I can't seem to get it the right resolution. The screen looks zoomed in no matter what display setting I choose.

I have tried different HDMI cables and a different TV, and also tried it with windows 7 via bootcamp, so that only leaves the MBP and adapter. How can I tell what the issue is?

2. rwd hero macrumors 6502

I seem to have the same problem. I just got my mini display port w/ usb audio to HDMI in the mail, i hooked everything up, created a new user account on my computer to keep the settings for the TV on. Everything is working nicely but i cant see the menu bar. Everything seems kind of zoomed. In the display settings i have the "mirror display" option selected and the 2 boxes (i guess they are suppose to represent the tv screen and the computer screen) on top of one another but they dont seem to want to line up exactly. I think that is the problem i am having, and may also be your problem. Anyone know a fix for this?

EDIT: after playing with the settings a little, i realized that if you uncheck the "mirror display" option the TV is just a second display for the computer. You can drag whatever you want to display on the TV to the right of your laptop screen and it will be on your display. This isn't exactly what i was looking to do, but i guess it will work until i figure out how to get the TV to exactly mirror the computer and not everything but the menu bar.

3. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Which MBP model do you have?

4. rwd hero macrumors 6502

13" mid 09

5. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I took my mac to the genius bar today. The genius tried my adapter and HDMI cable in the apple store's TV and it worked, seems it could be a problem with the TV I have.

6. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have tried with two HDMI TV's, one is the same brand as the apple store's TV and I have also tried settings on both TV's....I get the same problem, any ideas?

7. PrplPplEater macrumors newbie

The HDMI TV solution seems to be hit or miss. I have a Mini Display Port to HDMI adapter and plugged into my TV, it worked flawlessly. If you can get your screen to show up on the TV, here are some things to try:

Go the System Preferences > Display. A secondary window should pop up on the TV itself to control it's settings.

When you see the two grey boxes, they represent the Computer screen and TV screen respectively. The reason they won't line up exactly is because they run at very different resolutions.

If it looks "zoomed in", adjust the resolution settings and try calibrating the color.

If you want to see the menu bar and dock on the TV, you have two options:

1. Mirror the displays. This means you'll see the same thing on the computer screen and the TV. Useful if you just want a bigger screen.

2. Set the TV to be the primary screen. This will make it so that you can't see the menu bar and dock on your computer screen, which may or may not be an issue for you.

Unfortunately, there is no way to show the menu bar and dock on both screens while having the computer recognize them as separate. You'll just have to manage.

Hope that helped.

8. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

That is why it would be nice if the HDMI port would have been built into the system but really not sure why it wasnt.:confused:

9. Pinkiy macrumors regular

Pinkiy

i had a similar issue with my tv. to fix it i went to the tv settings and rather than selecting 16:9 on the picture menu i set it to scan.

this fixed the zoomed in view i was getting but i think my tv is now just showing its age as it now looks like its on an off res.

10. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mirroring the displays has the same problem, as does extending the desktop. Looks zoomed in