Problems Connecting iPhone

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by unusualyxpected, May 10, 2012.

1. unusualyxpected macrumors newbie

So for a long while now, my computer's USB ports have been faulty- and I'm past the warranty date.

I hadn't tried in ages (had given up) and randomly plugged my phone and cord into my laptop and voila! It was a christmas miracle and connected perfectly.

And this morning I tried to connect it and it doesn't do anything. What has happened in the past and is happening now is that it "connects" and charges, but doesn't show up on my computer and more specifically, on my itunes. The computer is charging it but doesn't know it's there. This charging connection but not really connected had always been like this but I used an outlet charger instead.

Another thing to note is that the other USB port doesn't charge or connect at all, and the one that "works" if I slowly push the cable in, doesn't even connect enough to charge.

What is wrong with it, and how do I fix it.

2. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I use bluetooth to connect to my iPhone. You can try that, the only drawback is I don't know if you can sync via bluetooth I never tried I just use it for free wifi thanks to jailbreak!

3. unusualyxpected thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not free when mine isn't jail broken?

How do I connect it via bluetooth? Would those files I transfer go straight to my music library on my iphone? I don't want to have them just saved in a completely different spot so they can't be put in playlists etc.

Honestly all I want is to be able to update my "ipod" in my iphone. I can do everything else on my friends computer if need be.

4. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Turn your bluetooth on and make sure it is discoverable and the got to the bluetooth icon on your top bar and click on it and it should show up the select it and click connect. Alternately you can do it via system preferences.

5. unusualyxpected, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012

unusualyxpected thread starter macrumors newbie

So I did the blue tooth set up, but it says under network preferences there is no connection. It has my iphone listed as a gateway, but with a red led, not connected.

When I click on "File Sharing Setup" the opening screen says Bluetooth Sharing is on with a green LED.

...What do I do now? How do I get songs on my itunes onto my iphone music library?

----------

When I select the phone in the list it says...

"The Bluetooth network is unavailable.
    There was a problem connecting to your device.
    Make sure the devices are on, in range, paired
    correctly, and services such as Bluetooth tethering
    are set up properly."

It had just told me everything was set up correctly, now when I try to connect it says that?

EDIT:
    Looks like it doesn't work unless it's jail broken and iphone isn't supported pairing with macs. How incredibly stupid.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=969689

6. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I am not sure what your problem there is I have never gotten an error message before :( Sorry I can be of more help maybe someone else can jump in here.

7. unusualyxpected thread starter macrumors newbie

No problem. I'm just kicking myself for forgetting to wirelessly sync it last night when it miraculously worked, for whatever reason.

Now that I remember, I can't get it to re-sync via cable cord so I can't get it to wirelessly sync.

8. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

If you can get it connected via bluetooth I think you should be able to sync it, I have transferred music from my friends MB to my MBP using bluetooth, so it can transfer files.

9. unusualyxpected thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean I have it pseudo connected. It recognizes the device and the phone is open for connection. The problem is that apple has made it so you can't direct connect via blue tooth without jailbreaking it.

10. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Ohh I see that sucks, any reason you don't want to jailbreak it? I have unlimited data on ATT and they want an additional $30/month to tether. I jail broke my phone and downloaded a tether app for $4.99 and boom, free tethering anywhere! Jailbreak it the apps are so much better!

11. rault18 macrumors member

rault18

Same thing happened to my friend..they had to replace the whole mother boards :(

12. unusualyxpected thread starter macrumors newbie

1. I don't know how
    2. It's a lot of work
    3. I hopefully don't really need it
    4. I don't want to risk any unnecessary glitches down the road.

----------

Tis why I've been avoiding going to the store.

I mean they just tried to bill me 49 dollars to talk to a customer service person. :rolleyes:

13. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

You should do it, its really really simple and I haven't run into a single glitch yet and I have mine jailbroken for over a year, its really really stable now. Plus there are so many awesome apps.

------------

That sucks bro. No Applecare?

14. unusualyxpected thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps. I honestly just want to be able to access itunes consistently.

And I guess not. Not unless it costs 49 dollars.

----
    Possibly unrelated but last night I was able to connect via remote app to access itunes via iphone, wirelessly. Now it says "Could not find ______'s Library" when I try to connect.

15. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Is your iPhone sync'd with your MBP or another computer? Sounds like your having some serious issues there. What did the support/genius say? Did they give you a diagnosis?

16. unusualyxpected thread starter macrumors newbie

The automated voice said I'd have to pay 49 dollars to talk to the support/genius. I promptly hung up.

What had happened is when I first got this computer it was faulty, but after 1-3 insertions into the USB port it would work. Almost immediately after my coverage ended, it stopped working completely.

Since then, I had it synced to my friends computer, but last night when it randomly worked, I re-sync'ed it to this computer.

17. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

What are you computer specs? Year model etc etc.........