Problems connecting tMBP to displays/projectors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Baldrake, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Baldrake macrumors 6502

Anyone else seen this?

Over the course of my work day, I connect my 15" tMBP to various screens and projectors, as I move around at work. I use several means of connecting depending on the device - HDMI dongle, VGA dongle, TB3->TB2 connector, and a USB-C->DisplayPort cable.

No matter what the connector, I've been having repeated problems, all variants of:
    • The external display just plain isn't recognized. Need to take the connector out, put it back in, sometimes several times.
    • The external display is recognized, but the all I get is a solid grey screen or solid blue screen, and the tMBP freezes and needs to be rebooted.
    • The tMBP just outright crashes.
    I'm having to reboot my tMBP at least once a day due to these issues.

If it were just one dongle, I'd just replace it. But it happens no matter which one I'm using.

Anyone else having this kind of issue?

2. cheezeit macrumors 6502

I have this problem and it's annoying. Makes me consider just going back to a 2015 and wait for another update macbook / desktop option. Not what I'd expect from a $2500+ laptop

3. Baldrake thread starter macrumors 6502

That's helpful, thanks @cheezeit. I'm guessing this is a software problem, so have some hope it'll get patched away. Just wanted to know if I was the only one. I'll bite the bullet and call Apple Support next week and see if they have any ideas.

4. Lenortic577 macrumors member

Having similar problems myself - very annoying.

Trying to use a generic Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter, then a Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable connected to a Dell Monitor and find that I have to connect it 4 times before I'll get output to the monitor. Every time the adapter is connected the screen on the MBP goes blank, so it's detecting the adapter, but only every 4-5 times I'll get an output.

Occasionally the external display will have flickers, or lines appear for a second, etc.

Anyone have any suggestions around possible solutions?
    I have tried the obvious restart, etc.

5. Lenortic577, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017

Lenortic577 macrumors member

Interesting update - I have changed my cable (from a Mini DisplayPort (Mac end) to Mini DisplayPort (LCD end) to a Mini DisplayPort (Mac end) to DisplayPort (LCD end) and my adapter is now working without fault.