Problems connecting to router

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kendo88, Jul 12, 2010.

1. kendo88 macrumors regular

Ok guys, might have to bare with me here, This is only my second day ever using a Mac. I got an old 2006ish Mac Mini off a friend yesterday, I connected it up to my wireless, it was working fine, although very slow. I then reinstalled leopard to start again from scratch, again my wireless was working ok.

After a very short while my wireless wouldnt connect. Connection Timeout is what I keep getting. I tried all sorts of stuff, I reinstalled leopard, resetup the wireless, reset the router, changed from WPA to WEP, loads of things, cannot get it to connect to my router wirelessly, having to use ethernet.

My router is a d-link DIR615.

I then remembered I had an older belkin router lying about, plugged that in and I can connect to it straight away!

Does anybody have any idea why it wont connect to my dlink network (when it did originally), but it will connect to a belkin router thats isnt even connected to the internet.

2. MacKeeperFanMod macrumors regular

MacKeeperFanMod

Please tell me whether I understood you correctly - Wi-fi network you can see, but can not connect?

If so, try to put on your computer a static ip address 192.168.0.2 and as a gateway and DNS server to put 192.168.0.1.

3. kendo88 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes you understand correctly, my network appears, but when i try to connect and put my passphrase in, it tries to connect for a few seconds, then says connection timeout.

I have just tried what you said. as a mac noob, Im guessing you meant

system preferences > network > Airport > Advanced > and fill in the info in tabs TCP/IP and DNS. I tried 192.168.0.101 as IP, 255.255.255.0 as subnet, 192.168.0.1 in both router and DNS...

Unfortunately the same result. As I say, Connect straight away using a different older router

4. MacKeeperFanMod macrumors regular

MacKeeperFanMod

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Have you tried connecting via ethernet? This is to make sure its a problem with WiFi and not something else.

6. rastersize macrumors member

Have you tried connecting (WiFi) to the router with another computer?
    If that worked then something' up with your Mini otherwise your router is probably broken in some way.

7. kendo88 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, Im completely new to OS X, how would I go about reinstalling the airport card in the mini?
    And yes my settings are identical to how you posted

Yes, I am currently connected via ethernet, all is fine

Yes, 3 phones and 3 computers connect to my router fine, just the mini that wont.

Thanks guys for your responses, maybe it is just the mini at fault, its 4 years old after all. just seems strange how it worked at first and now not at all, but it will connect to another router just fine.

When I did a google search, it seemed alot of people were seeing the 'connection timeout' message, but never seemed to be solved, guess it is either faulty airport cards or a mystery!