Problems copying files from my compact flash cards on G5 SP 1.8

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jrachal, Dec 3, 2007.

1. jrachal macrumors newbie

I have a single processor G5 1.8 running current version of Tiger 10.4.11. I take pictures on my Canon 1D ll and also on a Canon power shot pro 1. When I tried to copy files from my compact flash card to my G5, it corrupted most of the files. When I pull them up, half of the image is distorted or discolored. I am using a cheap non-powered USB 2.0 card reader attached to the high speed USB ports. I have tried all of the ports. My other devices, Keyboard, printer, scanner (all self powered) work fine on the USB ports. I can do the same hookup on my G4 Ibook and it works fine with no problems. I also tried importing directly from the camera into I-photo and had the same problem on the G5.
    Any suggestions on fixing this problem? I would prefer to load files straight to my G5 and not have to transfer from my Ibook.
    How do you tell if the G5 SP 1.8 is early model, late model G5? Mine has 8 memory slots and the 900 mzh bus. Boot ROM version is 5.1.5f2, Is this the latest version? I have a 1.6 machine at work with this same version rom and it works fine with my card reader.

2. deathshrub macrumors 6502

By god I think I've found the problem.

3. jrachal thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheap card reader Works with my Ibook and my G5 1.6 at work with no problems so problem is still not solved.